20 gallon long aquarium is cycled. Need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toaduck

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 20 gallon long aquarium is cycled and ready to stock. My plan is this.

2 (sexed pair) appistograma cacautoides

4 dwarf cory

6 rasboras

6 cardinal or black neon tetras (however I'm terrified of neon tetra disease)

Thoughts

What kind of rasborras?

Sent from my iPhone
I guess it shows my inexperience. I didn't know there were different ones. I'm sorry for my ignorance and lack of research. I should be better.

I guess whichever ones are compatible and not overloading.

I guess I'm just looking for a simple fish plan that will accompany my cockatoos.

The only thing I'm set on are the corys. I definitely want those.

you are probably referring to harlequin rasbora they are the most common. bewond that I cant help I have never kept apistos.

My 20 gallon long aquarium is cycled and ready to stock. My plan is this.

2 (sexed pair) appistograma cacautoides

4 dwarf cory

6 rasboras

6 cardinal or black neon tetras (however I'm terrified of neon tetra disease)

Thoughts

Brook breeds apistos. Maybe he will know better :)

Sent from my iPhone

Brook breeds apistos. Maybe he will know better :)

Sent from my iPhone

More like accidently have a mess of fry:) I'd say up the dwarf corys to 8-10 and pick either the harlequin or neons and do 12.. with both those fish in the tank it will greatly reduce the odds of fry. It's almost better that way unless you're wanting the fry? They will breed more and their colors will be awesome all the time! In theory anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

More like accidently have a mess of fry:) I'd say up the dwarf corys to 8-10 and pick either the harlequin or neons and do 12.. with both those fish in the tank it will greatly reduce the odds of fry. It's almost better that way unless you're wanting the fry? They will breed more and their colors will be awesome all the time! In theory anyways.

Thanks guys. Thanks Brooks. By the way I ordered that usa satellite plus led setup you told me about. I'm way stoked.

I also considered rummy nose tetras.
I'm assuming they're fine also?

Thanks guys. Thanks Brooks. By the way I ordered that usa satellite plus led setup you told me about. I'm way stoked.

I also considered rummy nose tetras.
I'm assuming they're fine also?

Excellent choice! You'll love it! Rn's are my fav. They school better than any other fish I keep. They're a bit sensitive so you'll want to add those last.

Excellent choice! You'll love it! Rn's are my fav. They school better than any other fish I keep. They're a bit sensitive so you'll want to add those last.

Well I'm done cycling and getting fish this week. I'm a little disappointed cause my ph has now settled at 8.0-8.4 range. I guess it dropped while cycling. Is this going to affect my choices I have made.

My choices were

Apisto cockatoos
Rummy nose tetras
Kuhli loaches

I know I've read where some people say not to worry about it and some say TO definitely worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That's a bit high.. have you tested a few separate times??

Well I'm done cycling and getting fish this week. I'm a little disappointed cause my ph has now settled at 8.0-8.4 range. I guess it dropped while cycling. Is this going to affect my choices I have made.

My choices were

Apisto cockatoos
Rummy nose tetras
Kuhli loaches

I know I've read where some people say not to worry about it and some say TO definitely worry about it.

Yes I have. While I was cycling it was always 7.6 range. When I was done cycling it rose. My tap ph it's about 8.2-8.4.

I have driftwood and coconut shells. I did add sand but that shouldn't raise it...Should it?

Yes I have. While I was cycling it was always 7.6 range. When I was done cycling it rose. My tap ph it's about 8.2-8.4.

I have driftwood and coconut shells. I did add sand but that shouldn't raise it...Should it?

Depends what kind of sand? there are some substrates you could add to bring it down a bit. You could also switch up the stock a bit or use some distilled/ro water to cut tap with.

Depends what kind of sand? there are some substrates you could add to bring it down a bit. You could also switch up the stock a bit or use some distilled/ro water to cut tap with.

Is there a formula to determine using distilled water. Do I just experiment?

Well...you're asking a complete buffoon for mathematical assistance here.. I think it runs around 6-6.5, I'd get a 5 gallon bucket and dump a gallon of distelled to 4 gal tap and test a couple times. Your lfs may sell ro cheap, could.be more convenient filling a 5 gal gas just than toting 5-1 gal jugs??

Back
Top Bottom