200 Gallon Community Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wikilea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, so I recently acquired (and am restoring) a 200 gallon tank and I plan on filling it with cichlids but I'm not quite so sure what kind yet. I definitely want flowerhorns and plecos and it will be a planted tank. I'd also prefer a mix between smaller and larger fish if possible. Any suggestions?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422937019.687698.jpg

If you are looking to have a cichlid tank you're going to want to keep them mostly the same size because cichlids are territorial fish and can be pretty aggressive. You will also want to include many rocks and different structures because cichlids like to have their own territory. I would suggest to start looking with South American Cichlids versus African Cichlids because South American Cichlids tend to be less aggressive, so you might get away with various sizes.
Good luck, I hope all goes well.

Just Keep Swimming, Swimming, Swimming
-Dory from Finding Nemo

If you are looking to have a cichlid tank you're going to want to keep them mostly the same size because cichlids are territorial fish and can be pretty aggressive. You will also want to include many rocks and different structures because cichlids like to have their own territory. I would suggest to start looking with South American Cichlids versus African Cichlids because South American Cichlids tend to be less aggressive, so you might get away with various sizes.
Good luck, I hope all goes well.

Just Keep Swimming, Swimming, Swimming
-Dory from Finding Nemo

Those are extremely broad generalizations of a family of fish that has more than 3000 members....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You're not going to be able to do flowerhorns and plants. They're a hybrid, but a good chunk of the species (if not all the species) that went into creating that frankenfish have a tendency to uproot or even eat plants. Personally, I'd find it a waste to stock a tank like that with even a single flowerhorn when there are so many cooler, natural cichlids out there. Geophagus tanks can be outstanding when stocked properly. Even a Malawian hap tank can be something to behold.

Is there any way around this? This tank is going in a Chinese office that is mainly based off Feng Shui...

Is there any way around this? This tank is going in a Chinese office that is mainly based off Feng Shui...

No, any large singular fish despite country of origin will very likely eat and uproot plants.

Well, yeah. But what tank mates would work with the flowerhorns?

Flowerhorns are vicious. That's why you see them in tanks alone. Do lots of research before you start putting fish together. I know 200 gallons sounds big but a single large cichlid will fight for all of it. Getting them to live together is always hit and miss. I would think about a single large display fish and a couple smaller ones. Makes for a nice community setup with smaller ones moving in around rocks and decor and a single larger one exploring the tank. If your getting a pleco of any variety that gets 8 inches larger you'll only be able to stock the pleco and 2 larger cichlids. You'll need to do 2 60-75% water changes a week as well.

Back
Top Bottom