20g long stock help :-) please and ty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerseyGirl1385

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I've done some thinking since I purchased my Blue Ram and I don't want to get a pair, for aggression reason and I don't want them to mate.
So I'm going to put my lonely Ram in my Juvi Angel tank :)

That leaves me with an empty 20g long tank.
I'd like to get Firemouths... But I don't know if I can.
If not, does anyone else have any suggestions as to what I can put in my EMPTY 20gallon long tank. It's killing me!

Convicts. A mix of pink and black convicts would be nice and despite belief of some they get pretty colorful and are fun to observe. They are very hardy fish.

cichlidcasey said:
Convicts. A mix of pink and black convicts would be nice and despite belief of some they get pretty colorful and are fun to observe. They are very hardy fish.

If they don't want to breed gbrs I highly doubt they're gonna want convicts lol. Just sayin

It's not that I don't WANT to breed, it's that I'm not knowledgeable enough on HOW.

I don't know if my LFS can properly sex the Rams.. And my concern is the aggression.
I'm petrified of my Angels fighting when they get older, so I'm crossing my fingers that I have one male and 3 females. 3 of them stick together like glue now and always leave the smallest one by itself. That Angel hangs with the platy's :-(

I mean if it happens, it happens. I just don't want anyone to die in the process... Ya know? Especially if its a dumb mistake on my part.

Convicts are great parents and you don't have to have much knowledge. It's like this creat a cave type spawning area and they will lay eggs every week or so....so.there will be a lot of breeding. Many keepers of cichlids like myself use convict babies as feeders.

Ok that sounds good :) so how many can I get?

The only thing I have in the tank now is a pleco from my 37g bc he was becoming aggressive toward the Cory's.
I haven't moved the Ram yet, I will on Friday.

Can I get some top swimming fish? Suggestions?

Two pair would be good or if your lfs is not able to sex them I'd say grab 6 and you'll get atleast a pair. Generally and this isn't sure fire but females have more color but I've seen very colorful males. Best was to sex is the fins. Females have shorter fins top and bottom. Males fins are longer and flowing coming to a poin at the end. Attached a generic pic that shows the difference in fin size male vs. Female. But look up pics of convicts they can be very pretty.

convict_cichlidsm.jpg

you should get some shell dwellers. they are awesome!!!!
also a side note on the convicts, my lfs would not take convict fry, and it took me about 5 lfs to get one that would take them.
i got really bored with my cons, so a shell dweller tank with rock, and lots of shells would look awesome, and a 20 long is the perfect size.
they are good parents, an you could probably make money off of the fry.
i would list some types of shellies, but im on my phone, and its hard to type all that.

Shell dwellers if your into Africans....I mentioned convicts for their hardiness.

sorry if i came off rude, im kind of biased on the african side.

This is my Ram- my fiancé named him Flash :) He's QUICK!

Can anyone tell what he/she is?

I liked the Kribs. Convicts are BEAUTIFUL.
I'll look up some shell dwellers in a little bit.

Attachments

• image-3698476987.jpg
    image-3698476987.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 74
I'm partial new world lol its just a preference. Really partial on bigger sa/ca cichlids due to their personality. My texas cichlids are attached to me over everyone else in the house.

This is my Ram- my fiancé named him Flash :) He's QUICK!

Can anyone tell what he/she is?

I liked the Kribs. Convicts are BEAUTIFUL.
I'll look up some shell dwellers in a little bit.

Ya wanna be careful with convicts in a 20 long. As soon as two pair up the rest will be miserable.

I'll help ya out a bit with the shell-dweller research. I tend to be partial to Africans, as well.

Cichlid Profiles

Cichlid Profiles

Cichlid Profiles

A small group of 6-8 of any of these species would do fine in a 20 long.

And sorry, can't tell what sex yer ram is from that pic.

WYite

The Kribs are also an great option for a 20 Long if you're looking for something a little more similar in appearance to a firemouth, and they are also easily sexed when they are mature.

Back
Top Bottom