210g african tank...need advice for stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonedog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just bought a 210g aquarium. 200lbs of crushed coral. 300watt heater. 2 aquatop cf500uv canisters. Overflow kit and lighting. I need advice for which africans would be compatible. Was thinking a total of 40 or so. Any help would be appreciated. Im new at this. Only had fish a couple of weeks.Thanks. :fish2: Also do I need anything else besides rocks for hiding?

Africans includes a huge variety of fish from Riveriane cichlids to Rift Lake cichlids, within the Rift Lakes, you have three different lakes to choose from, and within each lake there are a variety of forms to choose from as well. With a tank of this size, you have a whole lot of options, before we can offer you advice on compatibility, you need to make some decisions on what type of Africans you are interested in.

Most people who look at Africans are typically looking at Lake Malawi cichlids, as they are some of the ones which are most commonly available. Even within this group you have mbuna, peacocks, and Haps. While some can be kept together with the proper experience and care, others should not be. Since you are just starting out, it would be best if you selected a single type and then stuck to that type.

I suggest you start by googling images of mbuna, peacocks, and haps and make a decision of which group you would like to start with, and then we can go from there.

You will need lots and lots of rocks.

Can I take rocks from my yard? Most of them come from Uintah mountains in utah.

Depends on the type of rock. You can do a simple little vinegar test initially to see if the rocks are reactive (pour some vinegar on the rock and see if it bubbles, it it does, don't use it. After that, I like to place the rock in 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead and let it sit for a week or so. Test water both before and after to determine if the rock has any effect on water parameters.

If you want large colorful cichlids I would go with fish from malawi. If oddball cichlids are what you want, you should look into tanganykian species. My favorite is xenotilapia melanogenys.

Back
Top Bottom