29 Gallon Demasoni Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKjEi o2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello AA,

I purchased a 29 Gallon tank a few weeks ago. It finally leveled off yesterday and I bought a single Demasoni Cichlid (Pseudotropheus Demasoni).

When I bought the Cichlid, I figured I just had to keep territorial fish together and aggressive fish together. But I realized the world of Cichlids is very different from freshwater community fishkeeping, which is what I'm used to.

My issue now, is that I can't find any acceptable tankmates for my Demasoni.

After some research, I have heard I should hyper-stock my tank and add 11 more Demasoni to curb aggression.

Another suggestion I've read is to mix other Dwarf cichlids that don't resemble the Demasoni's color, like a Yellow Lab.

I also don't know how many fish to stock because there are so many opinions on the matter. Some say 1, some say 25, I'm hoping for some more opinions specific to my issue.

I think I covered everything. Any questions, just ask.:)

First of all... I would recommend you get a bigger tank. Many cichlids have a minimum of about 55g tanks, again a minimum. Someone else could comment to confirm but that's what I would do. A tank that size is to small for most cichlids, especially the cichlid you have.

Yes, I have heard conflicting opinions on this too. I will probably upgrade to a 70 gallon in a 6 or so months.

But for the time being, I have no clue what to put in my aquarium with the Demasoni because apparently, Demasoni are one of the most aggressive Cichlids.:(

Anyways, will the Demasoni be alright for 6-8 months in this tank?

First of all... I would recommend you get a bigger tank. Many cichlids have a minimum of about 55g tanks, again a minimum. Someone else could comment to confirm but that's what I would do. A tank that size is to small for most cichlids, especially the cichlid you have.

+1 on the bigger aquarium, 75 gallons are great for cichlids if you have the space.

Yes, I have heard conflicting opinions on this too. I will probably upgrade to a 70 gallon in a 6 or so months.

But for the time being, I have no clue what to put in my aquarium with the Demasoni because apparently, Demasoni are one of the most aggressive Cichlids.:(

Anyways, will the Demasoni be alright for 6-8 months in this tank?

If you are unsure if you will be able to upgrade, I would return or re home the demasoni. I think, again I think, if you are set on cichlids and only have the 29 gallon, I would check out rams and other lake tanganyika cichlids (they are cichlids that work with most tropical community fish) you could do a couple or one (depending on temperament of the fish you get) and get a peaceful schooling fish and some cories it's important here to make sure the schooling fish doesn't nip such as tiger barbs. That would make for a nice tank (I did this with my 30g, I had 2 bolivian rams, a school of about 8 black ruby barbs, cories and a BN pleco) I think. And just as a reference my profile picture is of one of my bolivian rams.

Africans would be best with a bare minimum of a 40b, even better a 55g. If you're set on africans, you could keep it alone or as a pair, but africans are best in large groups.

With a 29g, as mentioned, you can do dwarf cichlids such as rams or apistogrammas. Kribensis and red jewel would also work.

You could also do a single specimen, or a pair if you're careful of the medium sized cichlids. Convicts, firemouths, rainbows, keyholes, festivums, salvini, blue acara, and dwarf acaras, all fit that category well.

Demasoni are really aggressive even tho there small. so that size take will cause one fish to take over the whole tank most likely.

If you are unsure if you will be able to upgrade, I would return or re home the demasoni. I think, again I think, if you are set on cichlids and only have the 29 gallon, I would check out rams and other lake tanganyika cichlids (they are cichlids that work with most tropical community fish) you could do a couple or one (depending on temperament of the fish you get) and get a peaceful schooling fish and some cories it's important here to make sure the schooling fish doesn't nip such as tiger barbs. That would make for a nice tank (I did this with my 30g, I had 2 bolivian rams, a school of about 8 black ruby barbs, cories and a BN pleco) I think. And just as a reference my profile picture is of one of my bolivian rams.

Rams are South American, not Tanganyikan, and not many tang species will work in a community, many are rather aggressive actually.

Demasoni aren't even in the top 10 for aggressive species btw, nearly every one in the top 10 are central american

Rams are South American, not Tanganyikan, and not many tang species will work in a community, many are rather aggressive actually.

Demasoni aren't even in the top 10 for aggressive species btw, nearly every one in the top 10 are central american

Lol I never said they were in the top ten but in tearms of mbuna they are really aggressive fish. And mbuna would own CA at there size of course A different story when there larger.

Red top ice blue zebra.. Crazy fish mine is the boss and bullies everyone

Hey there,

I have a 75 gallon tank. As stated your tank is too small for Dems. I have had success keeping Dems with zebra, and Labidochromis. The trick here is to overcrowd. You should keep no less than 10 Dems. I still get an occasional dead fish. If you want to keep Mbuna happy they need a larger tank footprint.

Back
Top Bottom