2x male JD's in 55g = disaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgcaver

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started off w/ 4 2" Jack Dempseys in my 55g, with the plan of keeping only 2 all along. They are now all about 4-5", so it's time to break 'em up! My family had 2 8-10" JDs in a 55g all while I grew up living at home, but they were a male and a female. We took good care of them (they're still there), and they were always healthy - so I know it's not total taboo to have 2 JDs in a 55g.

What I'd really like to know is: will keeping 2 male JDs be a really really bad idea? I know they are typically somewhat more aggressive than females, but the ones I have aren't really aggressive towards each other at all currently. I just wanted to keep the 2 I think are males because they are so much more pretty LOL Will they be able to tolerate each other, or am I really setting myself up for disaster?

It's hard to say but IMO it's worth a shot. Somehow with cichlids the real bad number for aggression is 3. I'm inclined to think that with no female present, and being as young as they are, they just may live in harmony even as adults.

Don't repeat this to anyone, but... Years ago, when I was a teenager with no clue how to keep fish, I put two juvenile Dempseys in my 10 gallon! Although I did not realize it at the time, I had a male and female. And after about 6 months, they spawned! 8O In a 10 gallon! 8O Uh...not that this helps you with your situation, but you jarred the memory, so I thought I'd mention it.

Im not interested in them breeding at all... so other than that, what would be the upsides to having a male/female pair instead of 2 males?

Back
Top Bottom