Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

3 small Oscars in a 55G tank

I have 3, 2in oscars in a 55gal. I started out with 5, but after I put the first 2 in everyone else started to die. I'm not sure what's going on because the oscar have started to die too. A little help please. Oh I'm not sure of the water readings and won't be able to test it for a while, but I do a 25% water chang every week. Could the oscars change my water conditions?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well you are way over stocked I think 1 in a 55 is the bare minimum but you really need to test your water

Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Definitely. Oscars are really messy eaters and the bare minimum for one Oscar IMO would be a 75.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #4

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh7 View Post
Well you are way over stocked I think 1 in a 55 is the bare minimum but you really need to test your water
He has three 2" fish, please stop throwing out your overstocked and you need to rehome your fish. He's NOT overstocked currently and his fish will be fine for months in their current housing with proper water conditions. There are so many inexperienced people on this site reguritating cookie cutter info they've read or picked up on other forums, its really getting old reading the same responses over and over from people who have little to no experience but try and post like they do.

I've grown out dozens of oscars(and hundreds of other large new worlds), keeping 3-4 in 55g grow out tanks until a pair is made, and I would dare someone to tell me that my fishkeeping skills, habits, treatment of fish, and ethics in fishkeeping are wrong.

To the original poster do you have a water test kit to check the current parameters of your tank? How long has the tank been set up?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tank has been set up for 6 months. I was checking it before and after each weekly wc and it would be almost perfect before the wc and perfect after the wc. When things got tight I stopped using it because they are on the costly side and the cheap ones gave me a different reading for the same of water at the same time.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #6

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Were there any visual signs of illness or damage on the dead fish? If your water parameters are good and there is no signs of aggression then I would potentially chalk it up to poor stock.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

The ones that are dying are the ones that I have had forever. They have been gasping for air though, so I do a water change with treated water. But it doesn't seem to help. They have no damage to their fins. So far I have lost a betta, two german blue rams, and two oscars in 1 month.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenay83
The ones that are dying are the ones that I have had forever. They have been gasping for air though, so I do a water change with treated water. But it doesn't seem to help. They have no damage to their fins. So far I have lost a betta, two german blue rams, and two oscars in 1 month.
What dechlorinator do you use?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #9

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenay83 View Post
The ones that are dying are the ones that I have had forever. They have been gasping for air though
That indicates a issue a water quality, possibly low o2 levels, high ammonia or nitrite levels. Actual water test results would help us to determine if there are other issues, if cost is a issue have a local fish store test it for you.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pick up an API master kit on line for less than $20. It will last for hundreds of tests.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use Prime. I've checked online before what site should I look on?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

For the test kit? API Freshwater Master Test Kit
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would recommend increasing your water changes. Your fish should be fine for awhile in that tank, but oscars are big eaters and big waste producers so increased water changes will become more and more important as they grow.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well guess what HUKIT that's great I'm just saying he needs to rehome them because in the future he's not gonna know what to do with 3 14 inch oscars in a 55 gallon because he said nothing about upgrading and good luck with your fish chenay
Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #15

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh7 View Post
Well guess what HUKIT that's great I'm just saying he needs to rehome them because in the future he's not gonna know what to do with 3 14 inch oscars in a 55 gallon because he said nothing about upgrading and good luck with your fish chenay
Well since your so knowledgabe tell me how rehoming his fish addresses his question on why are his fish dying? Your "expert" advice offered zero help in trying to determine a course of action. He didn't need to comment on long term housing, his question was directed at a specific problem. "Rehome your fish and you really need to test your water" is not helping his concern, your advice on getting rid of all his fish would eliminate the possiblity of them dying I suppose.

Tags
55 gallon, oscar, oscars, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com