300 gallon tank stock list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
While I am about to make a deal for a drilled 300 gallon tank 84 x 27 x 31 I can't help but to start planning my stock. This will be my biggest tank yet. I also have a 120 and a 125 gallon

It will run a 90 gallon sump with a dolphin external pump 1200 gph. I will likely get another pump to add to the turnover.

I had looked into very aggressive cichlids but I would like to have pairs of multiple kinds of cichlids rather than just a pair of those

Here are some of the fish I have been thinking about

Firemouth
Green terror
Oscar
Salvini
Mida
Flower horn
Texas cichlid
Bichir

Maybe a some kind of catfish like clown loaches or something

Iets here your stock suggestions I'd love to hear them,

Thanks!

I would cross out the Midas and flower horn. I would do a stock of

2-Oscar
1- Jack Dempsey
1- Green Terror
1- Severum
7- Silver Dollars
1- Sailfin Pleco
1- Lima Shovelnose Catfish

If you wanted to you could just know they could eat smaller cichlids like a green terror for example.

I like The Green Severum for its peaceful nature ( for a Cichlid ) yet it can hold its own with other large fish. The Banded Leporinus makes a interesting addition along with the Giant Gourami (Osphronemus goramy). I tend to shy away from overly engineered fish like Parrots and Flower Horn. Here's my favorite site for window shopping. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=830 Good luck!

A giant gourami would be cool but how would they fair against the cichlids? Also what do you guys know about vieja cichlids? Im just starting to try to learn about them

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My last FW tank was a 180 with a pair each of Green Severums, 6" Kissing Gouramis and Texas Cichlids. Also a Australian Arowana, Giant Gourami, Banded Leporinus and 6 Clown Loachs.

The Clown Loach has a spine under each eye it uses discourage bullies.

The Giant Gourami can hold his ground.

Last edited:
I would put 1 male with two females to lower aggression. I have had South American cichlids, but I switched to Africans cuz their fun as hell. Lol

So the arowana got along with everyone too? Is the tank still up?

Yes he pretty much did his own thing. I prefer the Asian or Australian over the silver as they do not get the lookdown syndrome. The tank was discontinued 10 years ago when I went to the salty side.

Gotcha. Im still trying to figure out the stock i really dont have much of a clue yet

I would cross out the Midas and flower horn. I would do a stock of

2-Oscar
1- Jack Dempsey
1- Green Terror
1- Severum
7- Silver Dollars
1- Sailfin Pleco
1- Lima Shovelnose Catfish

I like this suggestion! I'd move the Oscar to a single and then do 2 severum. An orange shoulder and a super red. Awesome stock!

About 22 years ago I set up my new 180 with 100 guppy feeders. Two weeks later I was down to 85 guppies I added four green Severums and Australian Arowana. The guppy supply started diminishing. Go figure. But now I have a completely cycled System. I did have the internet but unfortunately I had not found AquariumAdvice.com.

I think I'd rather have a Salvini pair rather than the severum. I have a jack dempsey oscar and silver dollars in another tank. I'd like to try something different from the jack and maybe a different kind of dither fish if I choose to have some at all. That shovel nose looks pretty cool. What about the Jews cichlid?

I'd skip the Oscar and jack and do salvini single and some severum. Skip silver dollar and do giant danio. Salvini pair are nuts when they spawn and a may not put up w tank mates.

I would look into something like

1- Blue Acara
1- Green Terror
1- Salvini
2- Severum
6- Silver Dollar
5- Clown Loaches

What do you guys think of this list? Nothing definite just a rough draft

2 x Vieja Synspila

2 x Vieja Fenestratus

1 x Vieja Zonatus

1 x Salvini