Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #121
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
So I got mad today and took the tank down because my floor is unlevel. Went to lowes and bought composit shims and leveled it. I wanna paint the back black but I may save it for a rainy day type thing. Now to refill the tank

__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #122
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
FishBoy185's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: El paso
Posts: 633
Aww that sucks. Such a pain to completly drain the tank, move it, then move it back and fill it up. Grrr.
__________________
125g South American..
FishBoy185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #123
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tx Oscar Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
So I got mad today and took the tank down because my floor is unlevel. Went to lowes and bought composit shims and leveled it. I wanna paint the back black but I may save it for a rainy day type thing. Now to refill the tank
Not sure why I'm not subscribed to this. But that sucks :/.

You should paint it black. I actually really like it. I kind of want to go over a few spots with some black paint on mine but I'm not sure if I would be able to.
__________________
Tx Oscar Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBoy185 View Post
Aww that sucks. Such a pain to completly drain the tank, move it, then move it back and fill it up. Grrr.
Yeah no biggy though. Now sometimes I can hear the tank make a noise. I turned everything off and I can touch the trim of the tank and feel the noise. Its like a clicking of some sort? Anyone know what it is or why its doing that?
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Oscar Lover View Post

Not sure why I'm not subscribed to this. But that sucks :/.

You should paint it black. I actually really like it. I kind of want to go over a few spots with some black paint on mine but I'm not sure if I would be able to.
I was gonna but I dont wanna take the tank down again. Im gonna make a plant wall on the back or a moss wall! Petco sells java moss so I may fo that. I might be picking more plants up today. I already have giant hairgrass in there!
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
I bought black posterboard for mine, worked perfectly
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
I bought black posterboard for mine, worked perfectly
Oh wow thats an amazing idea! Thanks freakgecko91! Ill do that until I decide to paint it!
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
I bought double sided removable sticky tape, taped the corners and it looks flawless, I used some scotch tape to add some extra support and hold

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-750656837.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	192103
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #129
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
I bought double sided removable sticky tape, taped the corners and it looks flawless, I used some scotch tape to add some extra support and hold
Im definitely trying this!
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Didnt get to purchase the poster board today. I did exchange my old ac 70 for a new one and got another one as well see !

__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #131
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
I bought black posterboard for mine, worked perfectly
I got the black poster board! It fit perfectly with no cutting needed. I dont even need tape. The 2 ac 70s hold it in place and if water spills, its the Styrofoam kind so no nastiness from it! Ill post pics soon!
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #132
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tx Oscar Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
Didnt get to purchase the poster board today. I did exchange my old ac 70 for a new one and got another one as well see !
Dang you got two of them for your 36? That's a lot of filtration lol.

I think I might try this poster board idea as well. Can't wait to see pics.
__________________
Tx Oscar Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #133
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Oscar Lover View Post

Dang you got two of them for your 36? That's a lot of filtration lol.

I think I might try this poster board idea as well. Can't wait to see pics.
Yeah 2 of them bad boys. 600gph filtration on a 36g tank! Its awesome. All my parameters are still the same. I need some seeded media!
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #134
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tx Oscar Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

Yeah 2 of them bad boys. 600gph filtration on a 36g tank! Its awesome. All my parameters are still the same. I need some seeded media!
Haha nice, I think I went a little overboard with my filtration to, but that's even better.

Yeah I just tested mine as well, sitting in the same spot lol. Patiently waiting. I think I'll get one of those filters for my 46 though.
__________________
Tx Oscar Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #135
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Oscar Lover View Post

Haha nice, I think I went a little overboard with my filtration to, but that's even better.

Yeah I just tested mine as well, sitting in the same spot lol. Patiently waiting. I think I'll get one of those filters for my 46 though.
Definitely nothing wrong with extra filtration! The more the better!
__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #136
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
I already had my 75 filled and stocked for months, and I knew I wanted a black background, so I went to a store for black construction paper. I noticed the posterboard and knew it would be WAY easier
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #137
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
I already had my 75 filled and stocked for months, and I knew I wanted a black background, so I went to a store for black construction paper. I noticed the posterboard and knew it would be WAY easier
Yes it was super easy! The thick Styrofoam one is even better
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #138
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Okay so I decided to test ph today. I first tested regular ph and it was coming out dark blue. I retested for high ph and its coming out as 8.0? Too high? Perfect? Or what? Ammo, nitrites, and nitrates are all the same unfortunately. I may try the bottled bacteria because im too impatient
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #139
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Nolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 39
Most Cichlids are listed with an acceptable pH range from 7.8 - 8.4 (some even higher). I would say 8.0 is fine. Look on the Cichlid-Forum.com fish profiles for specific fish pH requirements.
__________________
Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #140
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Alyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slidell, La
Posts: 2,296
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
As long as you don't plan on keeping delicate wild caught fish, your ph should be fine. Most fish can adapt to a higher ph, and trying to mess with the ph usually causes more harm and hassle than good.
__________________
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.