36 gallon bow front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan87500

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting ready to stock a 36 gallon bow front planted tank. I realize on this size tank I can have one species of cichlids but wondering what would be the best least aggressive one and how many.

Right now I have nothing else in the tank but thinking about a small schooling fish like tetras as well.

I am in the Chicagoland area so on Lake Michigan water. My PH is in the high 7s.

Looking in craigslist it seems like there are plenty of breeders in the area.

Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Stick to a pair (or trio) of a dwarf species. I personally would recommend apistogramma agassizi or cacatuoides; laetacara dorsigera, curviceps, araguaiae; cleithracara maronii (keyhole cichlid); pelvicachromis pulcher (kribensis), taeniatus; mikrogeophagus ramirezi (blue ram), altispinosa (Bolivian ram)

Those are some good species to get your research started! C. maronii are one of my personal favorites and are extremely peaceful.

Stick to a pair (or trio) of a dwarf species. I personally would recommend apistogramma agassizi or cacatuoides; laetacara dorsigera, curviceps, araguaiae; cleithracara maronii (keyhole cichlid); pelvicachromis pulcher (kribensis), taeniatus; mikrogeophagus ramirezi (blue ram), altispinosa (Bolivian ram)

Those are some good species to get your research started! C. maronii are one of my personal favorites and are extremely peaceful.

Thanks for the information. I will have to see if I can find the dwarf variety local. I have seen the German Blue Rams in my area but not sure if that is considered a smaller variety. Seems like most people are selling the larger Cichlid breeds.

Gbr are great little cichlids, can be tricky at times due to semi-specific water requirements and poor breeding lines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I vote for maronii. Mine are very interactive with me. Beg for food and shoot to the front of the tank when I get home from work.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom