36g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralphie126

Aquarium Advice Freak
Its ok if I have 2 electric yellow labs, 3 tiger barbs, a rubber lipped Pleco and an Australian rainbow in a 36g tank right

Right now in the tank I have 3 tiger barbs, an australian rainbow, a rubber lipped pleco and a breeding pair of convicts...... can i add a blood parrot or some german blue rams in there and take the convicts out?

Last edited:
no. a blood parrot shouldnt go in a 36,an australian rainbow is a schooling fish that grows pretty big( and IME are pretty aggressive)and would probably pose a threat to a GBR.also,tiger barbs need schools of at LEAST 6,ppreferably 8

Alright so no blood parrot..... do GBR get agressive when breeding? Any other fish that are colorful and nice to put in the tank?

My guess is that most people will not have tried that mix. My gut/experience tells me this is a bad idea. First thing to think about is the requirements of the fish. Think about PH levels and water condition, if compatible. Think about size and aggressive nature, if that seems good. Think about diet, if all this seems good. Then you looked in the wrong place as these fish don't belong in the same water.

Barbs PH 6.5ish
size 3"
aggressive if not in groups

Electric Yellows PH 8.2ish
size 5"
mildly aggressive (For an African)

Electric yellow > Barb = dead barbs. just saying.

;) LoL J/K

Alright then so what kind of cichlids are compatible with tiger barbs, rubber lipped pleco, rainbow shark, and australian rainbows??

Ralphie126 said:
Alright then so what kind of cichlids are compatible with tiger barbs, rubber lipped pleco, rainbow shark, and australian rainbows??

I have my tiger barbs and rubber lip in with a kribensis and a rainbow cichlid. It works fine for me, with a little bit of pushing and shoving during feeding time but that's about it. I can't speak on the shark or Australian rainbow though.

The shark for me just keeps to him self and does not and has never bothered other fish. The australian rainbow schools with the barbs happily. So everything gets along well

What other kinds of cichlids that are bright are compatible with the fish i have along with plants?

I was researching and I found Gold Severums which are cool and I like them a lot! would they be good? Since they are pretty big, I would leave just 2 of them in the tank by themselves

never mind, the first site i found said 10 inches and 30 gallons.... the next said up to 15 and 55 gallons..... Never mind

Ralphie126 said:
never mind, the first site i found said 10 inches and 30 gallons.... the next said up to 15 and 55 gallons..... Never mind

Yea I think severums may get a little large for that tank. You would want a smaller cichlid like apistos or rams but they may not stand up to the shark or barbs. I've never owned apistos or rams so I can't speak from experience, but I hear they are very peaceful and barbs and sharks are semi aggressive. I know you said you're not into kribs but they have a lot of fight in them for little fish! Here's a pic of my albino, he rules my tank and still has a lot of coloring up to do. Also you may want to up the school of the barbs, they like to be in larger groups like 6 or 8, I have 10.

If you ditch the other fish you may be able to fit in 2 larger species of cichlid, but it all depends on the fish.

Attachments

• image-4044917166.jpg
    image-4044917166.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 72
I have not decided what I will do yet. If I find nice fish that are will grow big and breed and just fit the tank, I will ditch the other fish. But if not, I want something compatible for what I have now

I like the kribs, but I want a breeding pair with bright pink colors on them.

you really should move the shark before adding anything

Alright so i brought my fish to my LFS and they took the convicts, and gave me half price on everything i bought. I bough 2 gold gouamis, 2 rosy barbs and a dwarf yellow parrot all for like 18 bucks

I have my tiger barbs and rubber lip in with a kribensis and a rainbow cichlid. It works fine for me, with a little bit of pushing and shoving during feeding time but that's about it. I can't speak on the shark or Australian rainbow though.

I am assuming Australian Rainbow = "Melanotaenia boesemani" ?

If so you'll probably be okay with the Kribensis JoeyGeeze suggested in the quoted post. The rainbow shark can be a bit territorial, but won't usually cause too much of an issue ( results will very from tank to tank ). One thing to consider is that the Rainbow shark will grow to about 6" and would be better suited to a 48" aquarium. Your 36g will be a bit on the small side and may increas aggressiveness as he/she grows. You can always rehome the rainbow or any fish for that matter if it becomes an issue.

Don't miss understand what I am trying to say here. I am not saying you can not do something you want to. Just trying to answer your questions the best I can.

I laid out a references for some of your list earlier in this thread. You can use it as a base for your comparisons for other fish combinations. Once you get a compatible list together, or something you want to try go for it. Just make sure you know the possible outcomes so you won't lose any fish to lack of due diligence.

Alright so i brought my fish to my LFS and they took the convicts, and gave me half price on everything i bought. I bough 2 gold gouamis, 2 rosy barbs and a dwarf yellow parrot all for like 18 bucks

well,i've never heard of a dwarf yellow parrot,so i can't really be much help with that. you may have territory problems with the gouramis, they can get pretty aggressive,especially with each other. with enough decorations/plants/etc in the tank to break up the line of sight it could end up all right,though. the rosy barbs should be in a school(they wont get as aggressive as tiger barbs,but it could stress them out). now since i'm really bored i'm gonna google dwarf yellow parrots

Back
Top Bottom