37 gallon new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Islander009

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone been following this forum for months now and must say have learned quite a bit but still a beginner in this hobby.

Anyways question I have is I am building a new 37 gallon tank 30x12x24 and wanted to aquascape with plants and sand. But was wondering if anyone has had any pairs GBR and cacatuoids(sp) together with a freshwater flounder? Any help would be great!!

Was planning a curved area for large amounts of plants and sand surrounding, figured it would break the line of sight for the GBR and apistos.
Regardless my plan was to purchase the fish after I have fully cycled without fish and have given time for my plants to grow.

Any help or advice would be awesome!!! Thanks all

Or any ideas of other cichlids for this setup? Any ideas would be awsome thanks

Freshwater flounders are actually brackish water. And very difficult to keep. But the GBRs and the cacautoides will do fine together, I have 4 cacautoides in with a pair of Bolivian rams and everyone gets along just fine

Or would there be any other cichlids options? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks

Hi freakgecko thanks for letting me know the LFS said they would be fine in freshwater. But I myself didn't agree from some of my research. appreciate the info. At this point would you recommend any other tankmates for this kind of setup

Yes. They are more cichlid options. If you are looking at cichlids as a centerpiece for a community, then look at Laetacara species like L. buckelkopf and L. curviceps. There are also African butterfly cichlids and keyhole cichlids in addition to all the apistos out there. And of course, angel fish are also cichlids.
If you are interested in African cichlids, I can't help you too much, but other people will be able to. :)

Hi there Absolute. Thanks for the suggestions!! Those are some good looking fish and colorful at that.

Dicrossus are another good one! I just picked up pair of D. maculatus (spade tailed checkerboard cichlid) and LOVE them! So much character, nice size, and will venture up farther than my Apistos...awesome in contrast with GBRs or Bolivians (which I have in with them)

Getting my tank build partially setup tomorrow everything but the co2 system and t5 canopy which I'm sill debating on.
37 gallon tank with stock led hood
Black hardwood stand
Eheim 2215 canister
Jäger 250 watt heater
Eco complete And moonlight caribsea live sand for substrate. Not mixed but divided.
Any of you guys think that stocking
Pair of gbr
Pair / trio of apisto cacatoides
2 upside down catfish
1 Bn pleco
And maybe 1 laetacara If my LFS has some or can order some
Or 5 Cardinal tetras

Is over doing it? What would you recommend for this tank size for color and personality?

i had an upside down catfish that got 7 in. im not sure what kind it is, but i was just wanting to tell you. mine was like on steroids, it was huge.

i had an upside down catfish that got 7 in. im not sure what kind it is, but i was just wanting to tell you. mine was like on steroids, it was huge.

There is more than 1 species of upside down catfish. Synodontis nigriventris is the one usually available in pet stores. It only reaches a max of 4 inches, but usually 2-3 inches. There is a species called Synodontis nigrita that sometimes works its way into aquariums that maxes our at 8 inches.

Getting my tank build partially setup tomorrow everything but the co2 system and t5 canopy which I'm sill debating on.
37 gallon tank with stock led hood
Black hardwood stand
Eheim 2215 canister
Jäger 250 watt heater
Eco complete And moonlight caribsea live sand for substrate. Not mixed but divided.
Any of you guys think that stocking
Pair of gbr
Pair / trio of apisto cacatoides
2 upside down catfish
1 Bn pleco
And maybe 1 laetacara If my LFS has some or can order some
Or 5 Cardinal tetras

Is over doing it? What would you recommend for this tank size for color and personality?
I do not suggest 3 species of dwarf cichlids if you are going to have 2 pairs. Apistos and rams will chase other fish out of their territory while spawning, so you would be safer to get 1 of each fish and avoid pairs if you want all 3 species. I have kept multiple dwarf cichlids in my tanks, but things change when spawning.
Also, I suggest getting more like 4 upside down cats if you want them. Personally, I don't recommend them because of how much they hide. I have had them, but I never saw them. Ever. Some people have had better luck with them though. Up to you.
You easily have more space for schoolers if you want them. You can do like 10 cardinals and some other schooler that stays closer to the top like a danios species or harlequin rasboras.

absolutangel04 said:
I do not suggest 3 species of dwarf cichlids if you are going to have 2 pairs. Apistos and rams will chase other fish out of their territory while spawning, so you would be safer to get 1 of each fish and avoid pairs if you want all 3 species. I have kept multiple dwarf cichlids in my tanks, but things change when spawning.
Also, I suggest getting more like 4 upside down cats if you want them. Personally, I don't recommend them because of how much they hide. I have had them, but I never saw them. Ever. Some people have had better luck with them though. Up to you.
You easily have more space for schoolers if you want them. You can do like 10 cardinals and some other schooler that stays closer to the top like a danios species or harlequin rasboras.

@absoluteangel. Thanks for your feedback I really do appreciate all the advice on this board. Would you think a pair of rams and apistos be okay in a tank with the upside down catfish? I think I will take your advice and pick up a couple more cardinals and/or some green neon tetras. I am backing off the laetacara idea as I haven't seen it around here

The more pairs of fish you have, the greater the chances of issues popping up. In theory, you could do a pair of rams and a pair of apistos if you carefully lay out the bottom of the tank so they each have their own territory and you break up the line of sight between them. I suggest just sticking with one species though because its definitely safer. Up to you though.

There's also the Asian upside down catfish (mystus leucophasis) which get a 12" long and are often sold under the name "upside down catfish" so watch out for an all black catfish!

Back
Top Bottom