40 tall sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to be setting up a 100 gallon tank. I have an old 40 gallon tall tank in the garage. Not sure the measurements but was think of using it as a sump set up. I was going to divide it into three sections with (vertical walls) A: being the intake flow with floss-carbon bags- purigen bags. WALL holes drilled out for flow B:bio balls WALL holes drill out C: return pump.

If need be I can try and draw a pic..

Would it work? Is it big enough? I'm running a fluval 405 now, should I keep it or would there be no need?

Sounds good to me :)
The carbon isn't really needed, so you can save some space there. I have a 180 gallon and only run a sump, check out my pictures if you want to see how i did it in my profile.

Andrew McFadden said:
Sounds good to me :)
The carbon isn't really needed, so you can save some space there. I have a 180 gallon and only run a sump, check out my pictures if you want to see how i did it in my profile.

Yeah I don't even have any carbon in my fluval. I just have the pads purigen in bags and matrix
(Both by Seachem)

Basically from what I see is that a sump is a canister on a larger scale. The total water in the 405 is like 1.5 gallons ( if that). So by using a lager "canister" (40gl) and allowing the water to pass through the stages it's all good! Right?

Tried to look at your pics and it wouldn't let me. Thanks for the feed back anyway. I've been using 305-405s on my tank and want to go BIGGER

There are way more pros than cons vs a canister and a wet/dry system.

-A wet dry system is easier to clean
-Flow is stronger and more continuous
-You'll have more options to run mechanical, biological filtration plus you can make a fuge to help with nitrates.
- more water always means less water issues
- probably many more then o can think of right now ;)

Andrew McFadden said:
There are way more pros than cons vs a canister and a wet/dry system.

-A wet dry system is easier to clean
-Flow is stronger and more continuous
-You'll have more options to run mechanical, biological filtration plus you can make a fuge to help with nitrates.
- more water always means less water issues
- probably many more then o can think of right now ;)

I just looked up the "fuge" ... Is it basically a section of live plant the would thrive off the nitrates?

cichlid_tank619 said:
I just looked up the "fuge" ... Is it basically a section of live plant the would thrive off the nitrates?

Yep, low light floating plants or other with a substrate doesn't matter the concept still the same, I have both ;)

Back
Top Bottom