4'x2' 120 or 5'x18" 120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aski247

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just curious which footprint people tend to favor. I myself prefer the 4x2 I don't think that extra foot long is worth more than the 6" in the width.

I'm actually picking up a 4x2 tomorrow morning just cause I'm getting it for a steal. I have no clue what I wanna do with it yet or anywhere to really put it haha. Might drain a 55 and move it. Still really wanna do a African tank cause I think the colors would be cool, but I just know as a old school NW guy Ima get bored and the fish to stock it would cost 5x what im paying for the tank.IMG_2426.jpg

I think the obvious answer is 6'x2' 180. :lol:

Honestly though, it depends what kind of cichlids we are talking about. The 4x2 is more floor space overall but the 5x1.5 gives you more separation for territorial fish.

For most African cichlids I would probably rather have the 4x2. It also takes up less space.

If I had a spot for 4x2 tank and wanted Africans I would have trouble not going with a Tropheus colony. I lost my last colony to a heater accident 5+ years ago and haven't done Africans since but I do miss those Tropheus.

Lol yeah a 180+ is in the plans for down the road I'd like 300+ realistically. I tried to pull the trigger on a 300 last year but dude backed out on me last min.

Anyways... I have been saying I'd like to try Africans as I've never kept them in 25+ years oh keeping fish...

I'll likely go with what got me started in the first place since I've been itching to keep them again and spawn a pair of chocolate cichlids. That way I can have a nice school of something with them. And some type of cool oddball like a bgk.

Ugh... reluctantly took the tank, it was used for SW and had 5 holes drilled in it that need to be plugged. Couldn't pass up on the deal 50$ even with gas and new plugs still gonna be worth it.

I'll have one of my plumber friends come do it for me. Cause I've stayed away from drilled tanks my whole life and don't really know a good way to plug them. ?*♂️

Even still.. I'm happy about the pick up. Be a couple months before I'll have it up and running. Have a wedding and bachelor party coming up next month that are gonna slow me down [emoji23][emoji30]

Thinking 2 of the big sun sun filters.. Ima have to cut glass tops for it at work (Ima glazer so I have plenty of scrap glass I can use at the shop [emoji51])

And I'm sure I can find a cheap 4' light to go on top off amazon.

Figure whole set up will be around 500$ roughly. Not to shabby if I say so my self ?*♂️[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23](don't tell my girl)

I'd prefer a 6 foot tank obviously but avoid the 5 footer like the plague since lighting is always a pain in a ***.

I bred Africans for the breeder points but personally they're as exciting a watching a brick...

4'x2' 120 or 5'x18" 120

Yeah I have a 75 up now that only has a mean old butti in it... I guess that's African enough for me.

I think Ima go chocolate cichlids. For not being rare in the hobby by any means, not many people have them it seems like now a days.

They were my first fish at 9 years old and I easily haven't had one in over 20 years... I think a spawning pair will be pretty cool, along with a BGK, and I have yet to think of a good school of dither I'd like to add. Was thinking silver dollars or like just a butt load of some larger tetras [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Oh and with in 5 mins of texting my plumber friend he told me about "test plugs" so... boom... 3/4" plugs at a whopping 3$ each... and the hole problem is now fixed [emoji23][emoji119]

I'd prefer a 6 foot tank obviously but avoid the 5 footer like the plague since lighting is always a pain in a ***.

I bred Africans for the breeder points but personally they're as exciting a watching a brick...

Both good points :D

Hey huk, what are these cats in this video? I've never seen them they almost look like huge loaches....

https://youtu.be/4wJJC330yoA

Those are hoplo cats, love them, super active diurnal (day) species. I have a trio in my 120.

Also agree, 5' tanks suck. It's not a huge advantage length wise. I have a 180 for my tegu, and that tank was heavy as all hell....350ish lbs empty, but I wish I could fill it with water! Got it for cheap due to a chip on the corner. Should hold water but would never trust it

Those are hoplo cats, love them, super active diurnal (day) species. I have a trio in my 120.

Also agree, 5' tanks suck. It's not a huge advantage length wise. I have a 180 for my tegu, and that tank was heavy as all hell....350ish lbs empty, but I wish I could fill it with water! Got it for cheap due to a chip on the corner. Should hold water but would never trust it

Thanks man, I really like them, Ima def try and find them to add to the tank. [emoji51][emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom