55 gal help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddiienno

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thinking about getting a 55 gallon. Really love oscars but that would most likely be too small of a tank. Is there any way it could work? I don't want it to just work either I want the fish to thrive. What cichlid is good for a 55 gal? EBJD? All opinions welcome!

If you want an Oscar I would do a 75 if possible.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A 75 is a ton more flexible.

That being said, if you already have the 55, how about a pair of slightly smaller fish? Something in the 6" range.

I have mixed african cichlids in my 55 right now and they're doing great! I would definitely suggest lake Malawi cichlids. They're fun and have all sorts of colors.

You can do what I did and get both the ebjd and the oscar in a 40g to start and upgrade to a 72g bowfront. Then once they grow more my plan is to jump to a 110g plus

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Idk if I can't fit a 75 or a 110. The 55 is too small for just a EBJD with some dither fish for movement?

Idk if I can't fit a 75 or a 110. The 55 is too small for just a EBJD with some dither fish for movement?
EBJD's tend to be smaller than full size JD's so I don't think there would be a big issue with keeping a single specimen in a 55g tank.

That being said a 75 is the same size just a few inches wider. A much more versatile tank if you can make it fit.

75 is 48x18. 55 is 48x12

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom