55 Gal SA set up newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezalfonso

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been a salt water hobbyist for the last 20 years and need some advice on setting up a South American cychlid tank. I have the following materials: 1 55 gal Hagan tank, 1 tank stand, 304 Fluval canister filter, many pounds crushed coral sand, T5 system (4 bulbs) -pink, blue, 2 X white. Because I have so much crushed fine coral sand laying around I was hoping to use that as my substrate. Is that advisable? I see many people using play sand. Will this push water parameters towards acid state which I think is good for cichlid tank right? I was going to local lake to pick up rocks to create aqua-scape. I will bleach them and rinse as one does to kill live rock. What about the fluvial canister? What medium should I use? Is the lighting over kill? I have it laying around anyways. As the lighting is on on brackets the tank will be open top. Do cichlids jump? Any comments, advice, suggestions, do's and don't would be greatly appreciated. What type of fish do you recommend for stocking? What water parameters should I be aiming for? Many thanks.

So the crushed coral sand would take the PH to a more alkaline state. Yes I think you are right. What parameters do you recommend for a nice Angel tank with some schooling fish maybe?

I've used sand ( pool filter sand) is a popular choice. Live plants and 78-80f water in the past.

I too would recommend skipping crushed coral. African Cichlids love it, not SA.

A nice school of Cories on the bottom would look great too. I have C sterbai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740cbe54841d4c044418f247e535af39.jpg

This is my club member's Angel tank. He is using CO2 and a Finnex Planted + 24/7 over the tank. Plus ferts and weekly partial water changes AFAIK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angels do best in small groups. I would say stock with a group of 5 angels, 6 rummynose tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco and 6 cory cats. My favorites are adolfoi. Driftwood with live anubias or Java fern tied to it would look nice.

If you want to keep the crushed coral, think of an African cichlid tank since they like hard, alkaline water.

Angels do best in small groups. I would say stock with a group of 5 angels, 6 rummynose tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco and 6 cory cats. My favorites are adolfoi. Driftwood with live anubias or Java fern tied to it would look nice.

If you want to keep the crushed coral, think of an African cichlid tank since they like hard, alkaline water.

Until they pair up, then you have to remove all but 1-2 pairs. If you keep 2 pairs they need some visual barriers IME.

After some research I've decided to build a dirted, "low tech", Walstad tank with my 55 gal. and stock it with some angels and a few other fish that are suited for this system. Any thoughts or comments? I've already purchased the miracle grow potted organic dirt. Now to decide on aquascaaping with aquarium gravel and rocks as well as stocking with healthy selection of plants that grow well in this environment. Again, any suggestions? I live by numerous large lakes and was going to find some larger rounded rocks to use for the aquascape after I use bleach and properly kill off any unwanted hitchhikers.

Back
Top Bottom