55 gal stocking.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
spankym13 said:
Anything else beside barbs not crazy bout them. Peacocks? Or is that african?

Yes they are from Africa. These fish tend to be aggressive especially when food is present, regardless if they are hungry. Besides the belief some people have here that you should not mix fish from different continents. Because of the different water Requirements. Which is important. Maybe what you want to know is what BLUE colored fish can you put with your firemouth? Which by the way can grow up quite impressive looking.

What about 2 _FM and a parrott, or severum or jewels. I live convicts but everyone said no haha. I want FM FOR SURE

spankym13 said:
What about 2 _FM and a parrott, or severum or jewels. I live convicts but everyone said no haha. I want FM FOR SURE

Parrots in my opinion are an ugly man made monstrosity. They always swim around clumsily with their droopy lip. Jewels are cool but back when I had one he was one mean lil bugger. He was aggressive with all big or small, regardless of shape or color. Now convicts will defend territory basically splitting your tank in half. I have seen tanks with large firemouths but the convict was added way after the firemouth established itself. Unlike some African tanks you do not want to overstock a tank with firemouth or convicts. Severums do get pretty big but they do tend to be mellow.

Enjoy your firemouths, don't be in a hurry to add anymore fish. See how they do after a few months and if you are still not happy with your tank then go ahead and add some other juvies of what ever you want to try as long as they are compatible. Biggest mistake everyone does is hurrying to overstock.

Do you have a list of some of the cichlids that you have done? I would suggest some kribis, or convicts, or maybe a red parrot...(probably wrong with that) or some other great types

Convicts can be a lot of fun! Fairly easy to get to spawn, don't get so big, and their behavior can be quite amusing!

I'm not a fan of the "parrots" - not that they aren't cute, but the "freak" status of them (an unnatural hybrid) kind of puts me off...but to each their own. I think flowerhorns are awesome looking... and they are just as much a "freak". Then again, I likely will never own one (or more).

spankym13 said:
How big of caves/ holes do i need for FM

As big as the height of your fish you want it for. I know for altolamprologus calvus the cave opening should be the size of the female so as to not allow the male in. He would do his deed from the entrance and he would fan it in.

Should i stay in that size range? Is that the smallest i should go for them? Or can they fit smaller when grown?

Both items are inexpensive if not free for someones scraps. Try different size and see what yOur fish like.

Ok. I guess fish can squeeze into pretty small places. I just dont like pot look. I got pvc cover with my sand substrate.

I bet this a dumb question. Would two FM and A convict( single one) be ok with some dithers? All would be around 2".

Saw a pretty convict tonight at store. About. 2" . Very fiesty tho. And picked up 2 FM At the other store for cheap they were onsale

I just got 2 convicts...... I told the women 1 male one female.... She gave me 2 males.... When they're mature they are going to kill each other..... Thinking of selling it

So help me sex my FM.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110817_205604.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110817_205604.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 45
  • ForumRunner_20110817_205623.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110817_205623.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 52
Sexing them at that size is impossible, males are females are becoming more alike showing the same colors, same extended finage, and even relatively similar behavior when it comes to aggression.

Back
Top Bottom