55 gal stocking.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spankym13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a 55 gal ready to roll. Im thinking maybe a jack dempsey and maybe 2-3 other fish. And input is awsome thanks

I don't think that jack dempsys get along with other fish, especially in a 55 gallon considering that is the min for 1 fish.

Im just rootn around for ideas. Ive had tetras,rams,africans,rainbows. And wanted to try something different

Another odd ball is the black ghost knife. You could put some other fish in the tank with them too.

Another odd ball is the black ghost knife. You could put some other fish in the tank with them too.

BGK's reach upwards of 18" which doesn't belong in a 55g. I would look into a pair of Salvini's or Sanjica's are spectacular looking fish.

HUKIT said:
BGK's reach upwards of 18" which doesn't belong in a 55g. I would look into a pair of Salvini's or Sanjica's are spectacular looking fish.

Yeah I kinda only looked at one website before I said that... Oh and I would listen to HUKIT for advice for larger fish. He always seems to know what he's saying and knows a lot:)

I dont believe any of those are an option in my town. I have never seen them. I do wana go with the cichlids tho! Something attractive!

Do you have a list of some of the cichlids that you have done? I would suggest some kribis, or convicts, or maybe a red parrot...(probably wrong with that) or some other great types

I would post as to what's available then we can help with selections, I order all my fish online since I'm interested in more uncommon species.

Ok ill check it out. I know we got. Firemouth,JD,green terror,texas cichlid,convicts. Few more i cant member. We have petco/petmart. And one local store so kinda limited

I just went to the large aquarium store around me and now I would suggest the firemouths they are beautiful and very colorful!

So, Firemouth look simluar in color to JD's Right other than the red belly? I mean I like JD but everyone says not a good idea with my tank size right? So maybe some Firemouth and Convicts? Or Firemouth and jewels? Im not a fan of red but HAHA
:fish1:

Hukit,
I wonder if you would comment on ordering fish online. I am planning to do this as I am looking for certain rainbows not available locally. Do you have good luck with survival of shipping and are they totally stressed when they arrive? You could PM me if you have anyone you would recommend I not order from-I would appreciate your input.:cool:

spankym13 said:
So, Firemouth look simluar in color to JD's Right other than the red belly? I mean I like JD but everyone says not a good idea with my tank size right? So maybe some Firemouth and Convicts? Or Firemouth and jewels? Im not a fan of red but HAHA
:fish1:

I defiantly wouldn't do the firemouth and convicts, the convicts would tear apart the firemouth! Firemouth and Jewels wouldn't be that good of a mix either. I would do the jewels or firemouths with some silver dollars. I think that'd be fine... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hukit,
I wonder if you would comment on ordering fish online. I am planning to do this as I am looking for certain rainbows not available locally. Do you have good luck with survival of shipping and are they totally stressed when they arrive? You could PM me if you have anyone you would recommend I not order from-I would appreciate your input.:cool:

Survival of the fish depends on who is shipping fish, but in general I've never had a issue ordering from actual shops. Jeff Rapps is my favorite place to order rare Central and South American fish or try AQUABID.COM is another great resource.

Tangled Up in Cichlids

Last edited:
R there any cichlids that would go good with firemouth since u say convict a bad idea. And IF I go firemouth how many?

Any rams would be good. Actually and dwarf cichlid would be great! I have heard that JDs are good and so are oscars, but your tank isn't big enough... I think that 2 or 3 would be good in there, if I have read correctly.

Reason i ask is there are a ton of tanks on youtube with these fish together in a 55 and they seem fine

Back
Top Bottom