55 Gal. Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juventus7shop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, what's up?! I've been on this forum for a while, but haven't posted in a little bit...?. So anyways, I'm considering setting up a 55 gallon tank and I'm trying to plan out my stocking right now.

So, after some extensive reading, I've come up with a very general stocking idea, meaning I know the type of fish I want but I'm not sure about the species.

Therefore, two questions:
-Will this stocking list work in a 55 gal
-What specific species should I get (especially interested in your advice on the centerpiece cichlid)

-1 school of Corydoras (probably Schultz's or Sterbai)
-1 sucker mouth catfish (between 6-8"; need suggestions on this one)
-1 or two schools of smaller shoaling fish (tetras possibly)
-1 large centerpiece fish (preferably a larger cichlid; also need suggestions on this one)

Thanks in advance for you answers and advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So basically, would the school of tetras (or 2) be compatible with a large SA cichlid?

Assuming a relatively non-aggressive cichlid, it depends on size. If you think the tetra is small enough to fit in the cichlid's mouth, it probably is, and he may well try to eat the tetras. What kind of cichlid did you have in mind?

Maybe a larger cichlid like an Acara, Severum, or Terro because I didn't think something like a Jack Dempesey would work. Also, if the tetras wouldn't work, what other recommendations do you have. Thanks!

Maybe a larger cichlid like an Acara, Severum, or Terro because I didn't think something like a Jack Dempesey would work. Also, if the tetras wouldn't work, what other recommendations do you have. Thanks!

Yeah, a Jack would say "Thanks for the snacks, pal!" :eating:

I'm not familiar with Acaras or Terros, but a single Severum should do fine, especially if you go with larger tetras, such as Bleeding Hearts

Ok, severums look pretty cool from what I've seen. Do you know if Acaras or Terrors would be even possible? Is there another larger shoaling fish I could use?

Your advice has been great so far

Terrors, green or red won't work. Acaras may, severums may but even this isn't guaranteed, my last sev was a jerk.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So if I wanted to get one of those larger cichlids, how would I have to change my stocking list? So, what would be a stocking list that I could build around a larger cichlid?

Terrors, green or red won't work. Acaras may, severums may but even this isn't guaranteed, my last sev was a jerk.

Yeah, like bettas, it really comes down to the personality of the individual fish. I was suggesting Sevs because I've read they're generally peaceful.

So what tank mates do you recommend for a Severum?

Personally I really like rummynose tetras with severums or any cichlids really. Buenos would work well to. I kept my sevs with clown barbs and some pretty good sized cherry barbs. Many of the rasboras would work too, I really like the lambchop rasboras.

A blue acara might work. Its always so tough to tell when adding a more aggressive species like a cichlid to a smalles schooling tank like tetras. I know silver dollars go quite well in schools but they grow to be quite large. Same with the blue acara. When i think of centerpiece fish i think of a Flowerhorn cichlid. Not terribly aggresive like a jack or an oscar but just right. I have a flowerhorn in my 55 gallon tank with a silver dollar and theyre working out just fine. I dont know if this helps but if youre deadset on the tetras i would lean more towards a smaller blue acara

A blue acara might work. Its always so tough to tell when adding a more aggressive species like a cichlid to a smalles schooling tank like tetras. I know silver dollars go quite well in schools but they grow to be quite large. Same with the blue acara. When i think of centerpiece fish i think of a Flowerhorn cichlid. Not terribly aggresive like a jack or an oscar but just right. I have a flowerhorn in my 55 gallon tank with a silver dollar and theyre working out just fine. I dont know if this helps but if youre deadset on the tetras i would lean more towards a smaller blue acara

Flowerhorns are considered predatory and most are extremely aggressive. Saying they're "not terribly aggressive" is very misleading. Mine killed every tank mate I ever tried.

Hey guys, what's up?! I've been on this forum for a while, but haven't posted in a little bit...[emoji16]. So anyways, I'm considering setting up a 55 gallon tank and I'm trying to plan out my stocking right now.

So, after some extensive reading, I've come up with a very general stocking idea, meaning I know the type of fish I want but I'm not sure about the species.

Therefore, two questions:
-Will this stocking list work in a 55 gal
-What specific species should I get (especially interested in your advice on the centerpiece cichlid)

-1 school of Corydoras (probably Schultz's or Sterbai)
-1 sucker mouth catfish (between 6-8"; need suggestions on this one)
-1 or two schools of smaller shoaling fish (tetras possibly)
-1 large centerpiece fish (preferably a larger cichlid; also need suggestions on this one)

Thanks in advance for you answers and advice!

In my 55g I have
14 Neons
1 Farlowella vittata
C sterbai
4 Densonii Barbs

I may add a Pearl Gourami...they are lovely fish and ok with small fish.

Or an Angel. I'd raise it from a baby to try to avoid Neon snacking.

6604e09c951e54254d88e1969a5cf039.jpg

dab07d26bf51062c0d98b98ec8115810.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Acaras and Severums are not aggressive toward other fish, I've had them with angels and even discus. But the rule of the fish... if it fits in its mouth....

Acaras and Severums are not aggressive toward other fish, I've had them with angels and even discus. But the rule of the fish... if it fits in its mouth....

Both species can be extremely aggressive. I've personally seen my severum attack larger fish and a former member here had an acara beat the snot out of a firemouth. It depends on the individual fish but both species have it in them to be aggressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just removed several posts that were leading to a argument , lets play nice!!
if you don't like what is said use the ignore button or shift over to another thread

seaweed

I've always read that Severums are relatively placid, which I initially believed, but after owning several regular, run-of-the-mill Severum and Rotkeil, I've found that some of them are quite aggressive. I've seen one of my Raspberryheads lip lock my Jaguar

I've always read that Severums are relatively placid, which I initially believed, but after owning several regular, run-of-the-mill Severum and Rotkeil, I've found that some of them are quite aggressive. I've seen one of my Raspberryheads lip lock my Jaguar

Jaguars are one of the biggest most aggressive cichlids one can get, mixing it with anything else is a risk.
How many severums did you have in the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom