55 Gallon Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTAM963

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if I could house a pair of both convicts and firemouths in a 55 gallon tank together. With two separate pots as hiding and bredding spots...also with a big piece of bogwood in the middle. Any help would be great?

I don't know if this is normal, but in my friends 40 gallon planted tank he has numerous fish including a breeding pair of convicts. During breeding the male takes over the whole tanka dn forces all the other fish into about 5 gallons of tank on one end behind a plant. He ended up needing a plastic divider to keep things calmer, though the male convict is super aggresive during egg laying time. My guess is that 2 breeding pairs int he same tank might not work.

Even in a 55 gallon when they are both the same size of fish. Can't the firemouths take care of themselves and hold their own?

Hey JTA,

I have kept Firemouths, which I still have, and convicts in a 40G with no problems. Yes there was the odd skirmish when the convicts bred and visa versa, but none were killed or injured. The Firemouths like the convicts get just as aggressive as the convicts given the space and some good hiding places.

IMHO I don't see a problem keeping the two together in a 55G.

You would be surprised just how aggressive things get during breeding time. The rest of my friends tank has convicts and other africans that are all of similar size and they run in fear.

I had my convicts in my 130G with an almost fully grown Jaguar, a fully grown Parrot and Gold Severum and they also ran in fear when my two were breeding.

Any other ideas of a pair of cichlids that can be housed with a pair of firemouths in a 55 gallon for like without havin to change tanks?

How about some Rainbows, placid fish. They might be a bit too docile but they are nice looking fish. I have a pair and had them with my firemouths and convicts.

Back
Top Bottom