55 gallon oscar tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imaeattyerrbrains

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I am setting up a 55 gallon oscar tank. I was wondering if i could put a firemouth in there with him, and possibly a jack dempsey? :D

Also, do I need a heater.? Or would they be okay beings its getting summer time.

Welcome to AA!

Most likely you're going to need a heater to keep things stable.

Moving to the FW - Getting Started forum

A single oscar barely fits in a 55. You need to get a bigger tank for oscars since they get soo big. They are also very agressive so you are limited on tank mates, never mind bow big your tank would need to be to do put another type of fish in with an oscar.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium

Well, the tank I got came with a heater. And now my oscar fish just sits there and stares into the heater. Is that normal.?

Oscar's are huge drama queens, and will sulk for a few days which is normal. As far as a 55g is concerned a oscar will foul the water quality quickly when he reaches the 9-10in. mark, which will happen very quick since they will grow around a inch per month. If you decide to leave him in that tank your going to have to perform a minimum of 50% water changes weekly to keep the nitrates in check. Oscars are prone to HLLE which is caused by poor diet and water conditions. Plus if kept alone he will pay alot more attention to you and no the tankmates then you'll understand why they call oscars "wet pets".

Yeah I have gotten away with two oscars in a 55g (don't record mend people to try it) but I had to use a wet and dry for a 300g tank and kept two extra 110 carbon bags lol ..... But I love those Oscars......

The Oscar police law says one 90g-110g for every Oscar .....but I was never in to the law ;-)

Good luck.

How big is your Oscar? If it's a medium size such as 4 to 5 inch then don't bother for a tank mate cos his gonna out grow the tank very soon. And if it's small then get come convict cichlids for now.

I have two oscars, and they are both around 1 1/2 inches. I also have a red blood parrot thats about 5 inches. and a jack dempsey thats about 1.

imaeattyerrbrains said:
I have two oscars, and they are both around 1 1/2 inches. I also have a red blood parrot thats about 5 inches. and a jack dempsey thats about 1.

These fish will get along cos I had parrot with my old oscars before. Just leave it at that cos all your oscars gonna grow fast also the JD.

These fish will get along cos I had parrot with my old oscars before. Just leave it at that cos all your oscars gonna grow fast also the JD.

No offense but you couldnt be farther away from the truth, two oscars in that tight proximity is a recipe for disaster. Between poor water conditions and aggression issues, not to mention he has enough fish to stock a 180g and were talking about a 55g. If they are both males when they reach puberty one of them will be hurt or killed. Please dont give out poor advice.

To the original poster it's time to start thinging about upgrading tanks to at least a six foot 150 or start rehoming fish. Right now everything is fine since they're very small but that won't last long.

HUKIT said:
No offense but you couldnt be farther away from the truth, two oscars in that tight proximity is a recipe for disaster. Between poor water conditions and aggression issues, not to mention he has enough fish to stock a 180g and were talking about a 55g. If they are both males when they reach puberty one of them will be hurt or killed. Please dont give out poor advice.

To the original poster it's time to start thinging about upgrading tanks to at least a six foot 150 or start rehoming fish. Right now everything is fine since they're very small but that won't last long.

I was talking about now. But don't you think he won't realise once his fish is growing that he would need to upgrade?

I started with a bowl and now using 200 litre! Few months later my oscars will need a bigger tank so already thinking of 70 gallon. Now if I don't keep my Oscar I can even downgrade cos my convict don't need that much room.
So samething applies with his tank and fish!

HUKIT said:

And one more thing, his already got these fish! It's not like his thinking to get them! At later stage if he can't buy a new tank he can sell his fish!
I hope you don't take my harsh words to your heart.

If you read my reply, I understand he has the fish already which is why he needs to start thinking about a larger tank or rehoming fish.

From friends expeirience and reading real life situations it would seem that you may develop problems with that mix rapidly. I have a friend who has a J.D. that has killed an Oscar quite a bit larger (Its just a MEAN fish evidently) so hopefully you do figure a solution prior to strong personallity's developing. Good luck

Larger fish are typically more difficult to rehome so best to do it while they are small if an upgrade is not in your near future. All heck is going to break loose in that tank once the fish hit sexual maturity. I agree with everything HUKIT has said and I'll just leave it at that. :)

Last edited:
2 oscars, a red blood parrot, and a jack dempsey? In a 55 gal? I promise you that won't work. They may be small now, but will get real big real fast and it's gonna get nasty (both water quality and aggression.

Thanks for all the replies. Sadly my jack dempsey died, i noticed him breathing heavly so im not sure if he was sick. Im not too worried about the water conditions. I have two filters, and i will do regular water changes. But im pretty sure it will work out. They seem to all be fine now. Btw, im a girl. Just letting everyone know haha

Im sorry about your jack Dempsey, it always sucks to lose a fish. But back to issue at hand I can assure you it wont work out long term for the health of the fish. Which let's face it that's why we come here to better out skills as fish keepers and gain knowledge to keep healthy and beatiful fish.

Back
Top Bottom