55 Gallon Peacock Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
5-6 all male. You add females you will have a blood bath in a tank that size. As far as types of peacocks, go with what colors you like but don't get similar colors. I made the rookie mistake of getting 3 sunshines cause I liked the yellow color and 1 tore the other 2 apart constantly. Now I have a variety of colors and they all get along.

My tank has

1 Jacobfriebergi
1 benga sunshine
1 blue orchid
1 dragons blood
1 red shoulder hybrid

If you were to set up a 55 gallon peacock tank, how would you stock?

It depends on what filtration, how frequent you will do water changes. Here is a cookie cutter link I find useful:

Cookie Cutter - 55-gallons

My choice would be hap & peacock mix.....BTW 55 gallon is pretty small for a hap peacock tank. You will want more fish than the tank can handle. These are fish that I have and are favourites.

1 deep water haps aka hap electra (Placidochromis species)
1 z rocks lithobates (Otopharynx species)
1 benga yellow peacock (Auloncara species)
1 ngara flametail peacock (Auloncara species)
1 german red peacock (Auloncara species)
1 copadichromis verdunyi
1 lethrinops lethrinus
1 albino red empress (Protomelas species)
1 tangerine tiger (Protomelas species)

Filtration is an Eheim canister pro g90 rated for up to 90 or 95 gallons. Water changes would be whatever is necessary.

It depends on what filtration, how frequent you will do water changes. Here is a cookie cutter link I find useful:

Cookie Cutter - 55-gallons

My choice would be hap & peacock mix.....BTW 55 gallon is pretty small for a hap peacock tank. You will want more fish than the tank can handle. These are fish that I have and are favourites.

1 deep water haps aka hap electra (Placidochromis species)
1 z rocks lithobates (Otopharynx species)
1 benga yellow peacock (Auloncara species)
1 ngara flametail peacock (Auloncara species)
1 german red peacock (Auloncara species)
1 copadichromis verdunyi
1 lethrinops lethrinus
1 albino red empress (Protomelas species)
1 tangerine tiger (Protomelas species)

That's a great link! Thanks.

Go with a 75 instead and you have a lot more options, it's amazing how much difference the extra 6" depth makes. Jakes aren't a good choice for a 55, even though they aren't a larger species they still claim more territory. I never do all-male tanks, I prefer breeding groups. You can also mix smaller/less aggressive mbuna like yellow lab's, perlmutts, or maingano with peacocks without any problems IME.

Go with a 75 instead and you have a lot more options, it's amazing how much difference the extra 6" depth makes. Jakes aren't a good choice for a 55, even though they aren't a larger species they still claim more territory. I never do all-male tanks, I prefer breeding groups. You can also mix smaller/less aggressive mbuna like yellow lab's, perlmutts, or maingano with peacocks without any problems IME.

Wish a 75 was an option. Helping my sister set one up and 55 is what she got.

Back
Top Bottom