55 gallon stocking idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 55 gallon going and i am ready to finally put some life in it. i got this tank for free. and i am planning about this time next year upgrading to a 90 or bigger.

i am more interested in new world species. i did oscars a long time ago and though i love them and would like to have them again. but i want something different. i would like a pair and something that can take care of the eggs if i don't want a brood unless i can just do it without the fish learning to hate me.

i would like to get a pair (only one) of green terrors, jack dempseys, or texas cichlids with a catfish or something. i know they will outgrow the tank but how long til that happens or how long before they get to close quarters and need the room. i am giving myself about a year to get a bigger tank going but as long as things keep going well for me i can do it by christmas.

i do also like firemouths and they don't get as big and can/might be more passive. but from my info gathering they like the bottom and i don't know how well that would work with other bottom dwellers.

i do know that my tank isn't too ideal for what i want to keep in the long run but i could use some light shed on my idea.

i have a 55 gallon going and i am ready to finally put some life in it. i got this tank for free. and i am planning about this time next year upgrading to a 90 or bigger.

i am more interested in new world species. i did oscars a long time ago and though i love them and would like to have them again. but i want something different. i would like a pair and something that can take care of the eggs if i don't want a brood unless i can just do it without the fish learning to hate me.

i would like to get a pair (only one) of green terrors, jack dempseys, or texas cichlids with a catfish or something. i know they will outgrow the tank but how long til that happens or how long before they get to close quarters and need the room. i am giving myself about a year to get a bigger tank going but as long as things keep going well for me i can do it by christmas.

i do also like firemouths and they don't get as big and can/might be more passive. but from my info gathering they like the bottom and i don't know how well that would work with other bottom dwellers.

i do know that my tank isn't too ideal for what i want to keep in the long run but i could use some light shed on my idea.

A 55 is actually fine for all those fish if you are just doing a pair. I have a JD and a GT but love Texas Cichlids too. So not sure which you should choose.

Have you considered convicts? A pair of convicts breed very easily. A negative of having only a pair of convicts in a 55 would be a waist of tank space.

Fire mouths are neat and at 4-5" you can keep several so long as you set up a territory for any pairs that occur. I would go with a pair of Jacks as they are way impressive. You could also go the South American mouth brooder route if you plan to upgrade tank size. The Texas and GT may out grow your 55 before you know it and you will have to rush the upgrade or chance having only one fish.

What about a pair of fire mouth, a few Cory cats for the bottom and a school of Congo tetras for movement? I just got these cool Cory's. orange laser they're called

Attachments

• image-4215554155.jpg
    image-4215554155.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 80
Fire mouths can be a decent community cichlid as long as you Dont get a male and female they're pretty laid back and semi aggressive unless they spawn and of they doc the tetras Dont have the same mentality about space as cichlids and will more then Likley be torn to shreds. So I would recommend two males each will take a side of the tank and I keep a peppered Cory in mine and they Dont bother him at all and if they do nip at him corys have a sort of plate armor and it does well to offer them protection I think you'll do fine with these choices.

Fire mouths can be a decent community cichlid as long as you Dont get a male and female they're pretty laid back and semi aggressive unless they spawn and of they doc the tetras Dont have the same mentality about space as cichlids and will more then Likley be torn to shreds. So I would recommend two males each will take a side of the tank and I keep a peppered Cory in mine and they Dont bother him at all and if they do nip at him corys have a sort of plate armor and it does well to offer them protection I think you'll do fine with these choices.

I agree but dither fish seem to be a good thing in cichlid tanks. They learn to stay away where their not welcome. It's always a roll of the dice as I'm sure you know with any type of cichlid. I've had jewel cichlids wipe an entire tank of larger cichlids out and also has big JD's and GT's that only paid attention to each other if it came in their area

Yes I second that dithers are good for rerouting aggression just didn't want the guy to lose them if he liked them lol

thanks for everyone chiming in. sounds like i should just go with a species only tank if i want to see the fish become parents.

either tomorrow or monday i will go get my buddies. as much as i want jd or gt, i think i am going to end up with firemouths. i like them a lot anyway. how i want this tank i think will work better with them and my narrow tank in case i can't get a bigger one.

as much as my eyes tell me what to do i'd rather have healthy friends.

Fire mouths are a good choice and they get very pretty hues of blue all over them which really contrasts the red belly now when you go to pick them if they are young it will be hard but males have longer pointed dorsal and anal fins and a much more red belly

Thorichthys sp. will be fine with a larger tetra, danio or livebearers. I've had a pair spawn in a 55 gallon that is full of swordtails and fry. Never once did i witness any aggression towards any of the swords just the other cichlids that came to close to the fry. They do fight allot amongst themselves however.

I would stock as follows:

8-10 Large Tetra or Danio
6 Meeki ( grow them out keep one pair)
6 Armored Catfish such as Hoplosternum thoracatum

good tip on how to spot males and females. either way i was going to get 5-6 juvies and try to get a pair, donate or sell off the others. my cat ended up at the vet so didn't get to the fish store today. hopefully tomorrow. i think i am going to try some dithers. trying to decide on them. though i am getting juvies, would it matter if i didn't get any dithers for a week or so after i got the fm?

good tip on how to spot males and females. either way i was going to get 5-6 juvies and try to get a pair, donate or sell off the others. my cat ended up at the vet so didn't get to the fish store today. hopefully tomorrow. i think i am going to try some dithers. trying to decide on them. though i am getting juvies, would it matter if i didn't get any dithers for a week or so after i got the fm?

Tiger barbs ? A small school for dithers ?

Oh I know I'm only recommending for the OP heck I had platys in my tank with the fire mouth and he didn't bother them one bit lol

well went to lfs and no firemouths. could've got gt or jd but i still want fm.

just me but not a fan of tiger barbs. may not get dithers just curious if i did go that route if i introduced dithers after the fm it would be better to have the other fish in there already or not

well went to lfs and no firemouths. could've got gt or jd but i still want fm.

just me but not a fan of tiger barbs. may not get dithers just curious if i did go that route if i introduced dithers after the fm it would be better to have the other fish in there already or not

I don't think it matters, I've done it both ways with the same results.

Back
Top Bottom