55 gallon stocking ideas and general question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tikitikin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I'm getting a 55 gal and I will be making a DIY freshwater sump and it's output will be to undergravel jets (yes I will have a check valve). Also it will be coming with Aquatech 30-60. Wondering if this is a good setup for a sa/ca cichlid tank? I'm open to new ideas and suggestions. Also as for stocking, I want a sa/ca cichlid but I don't want a dwarf cichlid. So what kind of medium or large cichlid would you recomend? I don't care if he/she is alone but I do prefer personality and looks!:thanks:

Angelfish and discus are the most common SA cichlids. Firemouths and convicts are other options.

I like convicts and firemouths... I never really consider dicus or angels. Thanks for the post. I'm still going to research before I buy though

The discus is a semi delicate fish. Angelfish and convicts are very hardy.

I'll look at them all then. As far as my seup do you think it's alright or should I change something?

Ryan aka fish guy said:
I'll look at them all then. As far as my seup do you think it's alright or should I change something?

The sump IMO is not necessary. Buy an extra 30-60 and you should be fine. I have 2 on both of my 55's and they are more than enough filtration. Keep up with pwc and rinse the filter pads in tank water. They last a pretty long time.

I like firemouths.

If your interested in Thorichthys meeki then I'd tell you to skip those and look for maculipinnis, you'll get the body shape of firemouths with 10x times the color. I keep a small school of seven and they are very plain looking when juvies but everyday they color up more and more. Here is what they look like now and then what they will look like in a few more months.

Attachments

• user27198_pic40907_1343956480.jpg
    user27198_pic40907_1343956480.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 126
  • user27198_pic40910_1343956604.jpg
    user27198_pic40910_1343956604.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 130
  • user27198_pic40905_1343956480.jpg
    user27198_pic40905_1343956480.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 158
  • ellioti20080201.jpg
    ellioti20080201.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 248
If your interested in Thorichthys meeki then I'd tell you to skip those and look for maculipinnis
I do like those better but do you know how many can go into a 55 gallon? or are they like firemouths who get pretty voilent when breeding. Heck i may just get a group of females need be. My LFS is pretty good at getting me what I need.

HUKIT said:
If youn interested in Thorichthys meeki then I'd tell you to skip those and look for maculipinnis, you'll get the body shape of firemouth with 10x times the color. I keep a small school of seven and they are very plain looking when juvies but everyday they color up more and more. Here is what they look like now and then what they will look like in a few more months.

Good advice. Ive only seen Thorichthys maculipinnis once in person and they are much more exptic looking than Thorichthys meeki.

Ryan aka fish guy said:
Well I'm getting a 55 gal and I will be making a DIY freshwater sump and it's output will be to undergravel jets (yes I will have a check valve). Also it will be coming with Aquatech 30-60. Wondering if this is a good setup for a sa/ca cichlid tank? I'm open to new ideas and suggestions. Also as for stocking, I want a sa/ca cichlid but I don't want a dwarf cichlid. So what kind of medium or large cichlid would you recomend? I don't care if he/she is alone but I do prefer personality and looks!:thanks:

I think some pearl gourami would be nice

Like firemouths they are hard to sex as juvies, but honestly most fish in this genus are fairly docile when compared to other central american cichlids.

You could have 4-5 when they are adults in a 55g.

The other genus to look at would be Cryptoheros, I keep 5-6 fish from here. Look into honduran sp, cutteri, panamensis, nanoletueus, and sajica. Anyone of these could be kept at similar stocking levels of 4-6 fish depending on behavior. Cryptoheros is my favorite genus in central american cichlids, you get all the attitude and color without the brute size of the big boys like Amphilophus or Cichlasoma.

Attachments

• fwcichlidc1312164070.jpg
    fwcichlidc1312164070.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 115
  • sajica_pair_jeff_rapps.jpg
    sajica_pair_jeff_rapps.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 99
  • user27198_pic41002_1344210941.jpg
    user27198_pic41002_1344210941.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_0611.jpg
    DSC_0611.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 91
HUKIT said:
Like firemouths they are hard to sex as juvies, but honestly most fish in this genus are fairly docile when compared to other central american cichlids.

You could have 4-5 when they are adults in a 55g.

The other genus to look at would be Cryptoheros, I keep 5-6 fish from here. Look into honduran sp, cutteri, panamensis, nanoletueus, and sajica. Anyone of these could be kept at similar stocking levels of 4-6 fish depending on behavior. Cryptoheros is my favorite genus in central american cichlids, you get all the attitude and color without the brute size of the big boys like Amphilophus or Cichlasoma.

I'm not sure if I can put any pearl gourami In a 60l

I think some pearl gourami would be nice
Um I prefer cichlid not gourami they just don't catch my eye as much as cichlid specially ca and sa, but not saying they're not beutiful.

I just saw the T. aureum at a LFS the other day and those are another cool alternative to the very common t. meeki

Another option is a mix of bandit, keyhole, and cupid cichlids. Maybe even a rainbow cichlid. They're all peaceful and have LOADS of personality, although not all the most colorful, minus the cupid and the rainbow.

Back
Top Bottom