55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heck09

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my boss is giving me his old 55 next week and I'm wanting to go the cichlid route with this one

I was thinking something central or South American so if hukkit, freakgecko, or mike sees this I would greatly appreciate your input

Is a 55 something I can do a pair of oscars or jack dempseys or something of that nature in, I have been reading conflicting things online and I'm not too sure

I'm open to any and all suggestions though, price isn't too much of a limiting factor either

Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not any of those people and don't have much experience with big central american cichlids but I can pretty confidently say a pair of oscars or JDs in a 55 is a bad idea. A single JD would work. Outside of that I can't say much.

I'm not any of those people and don't have much experience with big central american cichlids but I can pretty confidently say a pair of oscars or JDs in a 55 is a bad idea. A single JD would work. Outside of that I can't say much.

Thanks! Yea that's what I was figuring just wanted to check on here, I really appreciate it though!

There are many peaceful options as well. Do you want a community? Planted?

There are many peaceful options as well. Do you want a community? Planted?

My other tanks are planted communities, I didn't think planted would work with the larger new world cichlids

This tank is going to be in the living room so I want 1-4 larger colorful fish in there that will be more eye catching for guests if you know what I mean

Kinda an unorthodox suggestion but, how about a bunch of botia kubotai? They're beautiful, they get around 6 inches, you can have a big group of them in a 55, full of personality but also peaceful? A group of adults would be super eye-catching and if you set it up right they'll always be out and about and use the entire water column.

Kinda an unorthodox suggestion but, how about a bunch of botia kubotai? They're beautiful, they get around 6 inches, you can have a big group of them in a 55, full of personality but also peaceful? A group of adults would be super eye-catching and if you set it up right they'll always be out and about and use the entire water column.

That is an interesting suggestion, I'll have to do some more research on them and consider that

With a good water change schedule a pair of jacks is fine. They grow fairly slow and are near the bottom end of the aggression scale.

I have a tank that is basically that, except a mix of yoyo and kubotai loaches, and it's AWESOME. They all eat out of my hand :D I can show you a video of the tank if you want an idea.

But definitely don't let me talk you out of some big CA/SA cichlids, those are always awesome :)

With a good water change schedule a pair of jacks is fine. They grow fairly slow and are near the bottom end of the aggression scale.

Would they not outgrow the tank? If not that's awesome

I was thinking a fluval 306 canister filter would be the best bet filter wise if I went with them, do you think that is enough for them?

After digging through your thread for a bit the cryptoheros panamensis look like my number one now, thanks for linking the thread

Thank HUKIT for those.

Well thanks to hukit then! Is that what you ended up going with mike, I didn't finish reading the thread?

LOL no. I ended up with a pair of cons for a short while.(hangs his head in shame) Now I'm growing out an argentea that's moving to a 75 in February.

LOL no. I ended up with a pair of cons for a short while.(hangs his head in shame) Now I'm growing out an argentea that's moving to a 75 in February.

Convicts are cool though! I don't think I have seen a argentea before have to look that one up

Those panamensis are proving hard to find on the interwebs

Could go.for these guys.. nothing special but I have them so they're all the sudden special ;) this is what they told me a pair could look like.. sold!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1450042243147.jpg
    1450042243147.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 1450042301294.jpg
    1450042301294.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom