55 gallon tank for cichlids - can you help me get started?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! Some of you might know that I have a 55 gallon tank that I don't really have any ideas for, until my dad reminded me of cichlids (As he does constantly [He LOVES cichlids]) as a possibility. I truthfully know very little about cichlids, but when I was first setting up this tank nearly a year ago, I had, for a short time, considered African cichlids, I believe from lake Malawi.

In a ridiculous turn of events, my filter, a HOB Marineland Penguin 350, suddenly blew its impeller and impeller housing, possibly from the sand I had recently added. Fortunately, I had on hand an older model of the Rena FilStar series, possibly the XP3. It took an hour, but I disassembled both the ML filter and the Rena canister filter and installed the Rena canister.

I used old media from the busted ML filter to seed it, two different filter cartridges and the two signature Bio-Wheels. I have a bit of Purigen around, too. So if the cichlids I am considering need super clean water, it's no problem.

Water change schedule is usually a 25-50% WC each week, using a gravel vacuum (Don't worry, I only suck up the junk on the top of the sand, I don't plunge the vacuum into the sand an waste sand, lol). Food for cichlids, I don't really have anything... wait wait wait, I have a full canister of New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula, the sinking 1 mm pellets.

Heater is a 200w heater that works fine.

I have a TON of sand ready, nearly 100 pounds of white sand.

I have a ridiculous amount of slate stone, the edges of which have been sanded to be smooth.

I was thinking of African cichlids from Lake Malawi, but I have no clue where to start.

Can you guys help me get started?

Thank you!

The first thing you should do is go to several different web sites. Look at their Malawi cichlid pictures to get an idea of what is out there for sale. You'll more than likely need to order online. Build a big list of what you like then look up the profiles for them. I try to jot down aggression and size. In a 55 you'll want to stick with all mbuna that stay under 5". You can get away with a couple in the 6" range.

Back
Top Bottom