56g column cichlid possibilities?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flatty

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a 56g column tank for Christmas. Given the limited area I have left this was the only size I could fit in the room. I haven't begun the cycle yet though I do plan on cheating some and pulling some of the media from my community tank to seed this one but either way there is time. I know this isn't the idea Cichlid tank due to the footprint but I would like to know what possibilities there are, I see several people out there with this tank so I know there must be some workable combos. I am looking for some color and personality not really interested in breeding especially with the size tank. Just looking for some good advice (I cannot sell the tank and get a bigger one), the LFS would just tell me everything fits.

Pair of jack dempseys, firemouth? Fleet of bolivian rams, keyhole cichlids, eartheaters are chill...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

interesting

Hadn't given much thought to the South American varieties probably because I have some Rams in my community tank. Are the others generally colorful?

Pair of jack dempseys, firemouth? Fleet of bolivian rams, keyhole cichlids, eartheaters are chill...

Remember the footprint Brookster...eartheaters are a no for sure. Same with a pair of jacks.

I have a 38 column and honestly, I hate the tank. I've been thinking about tearing it down and putting reptiles back in it. The footprint is just garbage

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's 36×18"?? No good for those??

The smallest species of geophagus is still 6-7" and require groups. Most species get 8"+. A 4" tank is limiting on geos or satanopercas (especially), let alone a 3' tank. Jacks are gonna be a similar issue

Kribensis are doing well in my 50 tall, even starting to breed. I also have tetras and guppy in to keep them occupied.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Take a look at the mbuna. Lots of color, personality, 55 is perfect. No fish over 6 inches.

This is my female Jack Dempsey

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1420066655847.jpg
    1420066655847.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 88
Jewel Cichlid

Attachments

• 1420066725766.jpg
    1420066725766.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 98
Very aggressive but with that space you should be good with a couple don't overload or they will kill to keep their space. I wouldn't put the jewel with a Dempsey though. Had a bad experience with that.

The first one yes

I have had someone on here say that is a jewel not a Jack

The second one is a jewel cichlid. The 1st one is a jack.

Take a look at the mbuna. Lots of color, personality, 55 is perfect.

+1 on the mbuna. I have two jewel cichlids along with a powder blue cichlid, yellow lab, and 2 OB zebra cichlid.

Back
Top Bottom