60g lake tanganyika tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i basically was going to go with the whole shell dweller thing. I will be gettings some
Lamprologus ocellatus (Gold)
Lamprologus' ocellatus (Blue)
Sunspot bevis
well i hope this works there will be lots of shells and homes for everyone.
that list might change as there are only golds in my city. I have someone else possibly picking out the rest for me.

As there is so much room i was hoping that i could add regulary ones. To fill up the rest of the tank.
There is only so much room at the bottom.
I havent read to much on compatabilty anywhere.
So i was hoping someone could post some insight and help me figure out the rest..
I have a new obsession for these fish... And i want lots of them. :D

I LOVE TANGANYIKAS

They are my favorite cichlids, bar none. So Beautiful.

Many some Leulipi (nice orange ones with nice fins), Daffodils, any julicromis, sexis or compricceps.

fwcichlidst1169671479.jpg

LeuLipi

fwcichlidst1167960613.jpg

Daffodils

fwcichlidst1170644019.jpg

A Juli strain

Check out drsfostersmith.com's live aquaria for some more ideas.

Keeping Occelatus and Brevis in a tank together does not work out well. The Occies are way too aggressive for the Brevis, They will steal their shells and eat any fry the Brevis may have on top of betting the daylights out of the adults. the Blues and Golds may be okay together, but I would be kind of iffy on that one because of the possibility of inter-breeding. Personally I think The Brevis would be the best (they are not near as aggressive toward conspecifics). I would also add in about 8 Cyprichromis Leptosoma to fill in the mid to topwater gap. Wetthumbaquatics.com has a great selection of Tangs lots of shelldwellers!

well thats why im asking i dont know which can co exsist and which cant.
i dont want to get all golds. or all blues. i would really like a mix.
And the choices are limited around here.
But thanks i will check out that link.

I wouldn't mix different geographical variants, plus I think that the brevis are a better choice for a community tank. If you're interested in breeding them, I wouldn't go with other lamprologines that aren't shelldwellers. Go for some Cyprichromis leptosoma.

I wouldn't mix any species of shellie in a tank, regardless of size. They're strictly "one species per tank". A friend tried to keep meleagris and multis in the same tank (a 125g tank), and the experiment ended in blood shed. It just doesn't work.

Occies, brevis, and meleagris can usually only be kept as pairs; multis have the distinct advantage of living in colonies.

Wet Thumbs Brevis"Magara"(actually L. Callarius) Is a slightly larger cousin of the Brevis, gets a really cool lyre tail, and does well in colonies.

Back
Top Bottom