63 Gallon Idea's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chew valley

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 63 gallon (240 litre) tank that I want to change to a Cichlid tank.

I am not sure which way I want to go i.e. Africans or Americans.

I originally was convinced that I wanted Mbuna as they are so colourful so thought of

Electric Yellow Labs
Red Zebra
Acei Cichlid
Afra Cichlid

Keeping 1 male and 3 females of each so 16 fish in total. So is this OK and do you think it's a good mix, have done some
research and seems it would work or should I only keep 3 species and not 4.

However, recently I am also thinking Americans may be better. I really like Jack Dempseys but I don't want a tank with just one fish in it, so thought I could possibly have

1 Jack Dempsey
1 Firemouth
2 Convicts (but not a pair as think that would not work)

The JD is the most important one so is there anything else that would work even if it's just 1 more fish but just have him in a tank on his own would be boring for me.

chew valley said:
I currently have a 63 gallon (240 litre) tank that I want to change to a Cichlid tank.

I am not sure which way I want to go i.e. Africans or Americans.

I originally was convinced that I wanted Mbuna as they are so colourful so thought of

Electric Yellow Labs
Red Zebra
Acei Cichlid
Afra Cichlid

Keeping 1 male and 3 females of each so 16 fish in total. So is this OK and do you think it's a good mix, have done some
research and seems it would work or should I only keep 3 species and not 4.

However, recently I am also thinking Americans may be better. I really like Jack Dempseys but I don't want a tank with just one fish in it, so thought I could possibly have

1 Jack Dempsey
1 Firemouth
2 Convicts (but not a pair as think that would not work)

The JD is the most important one so is there anything else that would work even if it's just 1 more fish but just have him in a tank on his own would be boring for me.

If you want a jack......I say skip the firemouth. The firemouth is ime a lot more timid so the jack is gonna give it hell. Convicts are gonna be hit or miss. They get very aggressive when spawning but I don't know if they would be able to handle the abuse from the jack. A pair of jacks m/f are very interesting to keep. Mine have been amazing.

Convicts are gonna be hit or miss. They get very aggressive when spawning but I don't know if they would be able to handle the abuse from the jack.

I can assure you pound for pound you will not find a tougher fish than a matured Amatitlania nigrofasciata.

HUKIT said:
I can assure you pound for pound you will not find a tougher fish than a matured Amatitlania nigrofasciata.

In no way am I trying to say that your wrong hukit, as your knowledge far exceeds mine, but I would put my male jack Dempsey up against any convict on his best day. My guy is down right nasty.

Back
Top Bottom