75 Gal Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdawg13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok ive got quite a few questions for you guys and gals. First is there enough room left in my 75 gal to get a few more mbumba, I have a red zebra, a Yellow Lab an Auratus, and 2 Plecos. Some people have told me its fine others have said it will be overstocked from the Plecos, But idk. Next somehow ive got a massive snail outbreak in my Cichlid tank, And i was wondering do African Cichlids eat snails, Or is there any other fish that willl eat them and get along with my Cichlids and plecos. Also it looked like my Lab and my Zebra were mating, They were chasing each other in cicrles. But it could be them fighting for territory??? If they did mate how long does the female keep the eggs in her mouth??? Help would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Some cichlids eat invertibrates in the sand. But I'd have to look that info up. Clown loaches can do well in cichlid tanks and do eat snails.

What filtration do you have?

Yellow labs like to have friends, I'd get 4 or 5 more yellow labs. And the same of red Zebras. That will help to stop cross breeding.

Even if you let them have the fry in the tank usually 1 or so survives. If this breeds and the fry or the original hybrid is eventually moved on the recipient will be un-aware that it is a hybrid.

Some light reading....
Who Needs Another Hybrid?

Malawis usually hold on the the eggs/fry for 3 weeks. You will see a bulge in the throat if they have bred.

I'd move on one of the plecos (or both and get bristlenoses). That would reduce your bioload.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a bunch for the help, My filter is a HOB whisper 60-90. I think lol. I do really like clown loaches so i might pick up a few and maybe 2-3 more Labs and 2-3 more zebras if i get rid of my huge foot long pleco?? Or as you said get rid of them both and replace them with bristlenoses.

Ill try and get some but they may not be great quality, because they would be taken from my phone.

My mbuna kill snails... I've put pond snails, MTS, and mystery snails in with absolutely none making it more than a day or two. They don't eat them, they just break their shells (except the small ones, they do eat those). I agree, I'd get some friends for those guys. Maybe 4-6 of each, minus the plecos. I would suggest getting another filter, something like an aquaclear 110.

Hmm MFD, Mine may be eating them but there not eating very much then because there are still lots of them. But im working on getting most of the snails gona anyways. And i was trying to get a new filter but i was low on money, but now ive got some cash and ill probbaly buy the one that you recomended. And im super exited for when i get my new fish, But its probbaly not going to happen until i get rid of the snails and resort my issue with the plecos anyways here are some pics.

Sorry the Pleco pic looks like the tank was dirty, But those were just smudges and those little dots on the glass were some of the snails

Pictures look good. Nice.

When you introduce the new fish, remember to perform a water change and rearrange the decorations around. That way the old inhabitants won't spend all their time beating up the new inhabitants.

Thanks, yea Ive been told to do that before, Im also going to try and get some more rock for more hiding places and caves ect...

Back
Top Bottom