75 Gallon African Cichlid Tank Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that many use the gallon divided by 2 and that gives the total number of fish that you can house, so in my case it would be 37. I know that you need to overstock African Cichlids to curb aggressiveness. The breeds I am looking into are Electric Yellow, Electric Blue, Cobalt Blue Zebra, Red Zebra, Yellow Peacock, Red Peacock, Demasoni, and Maingano. All of these speceis are from Lake Malawi. What are your thoughts? I was thinking 4 of each adding up to 32 total, Good stock or bad idea?

You don't divide by 2. That would be way too many fish. I would target more like 20. Where did you hear that out of curiosity?

I would target fewer groups of more fish each. I would also try, if possible, to keep fish of similar temperament. For example, the peacocks and the yellow labs are fairly peaceful(relatively speaking). The red the zebras and the demasonii are a level up on the aggression scale.

You don't divide by 2. That would be way too many fish. I would target more like 20. Where did you hear that out of curiosity?

I would target fewer groups of more fish each. I would also try, if possible, to keep fish of similar temperament. For example, the peacocks and the yellow labs are fairly peaceful(relatively speaking). The red the zebras and the demasonii are a level up on the aggression scale.

I've seen that calculation multiple places, seemed way to simple to take into all of the variables that different species will have.

I've seen that calculation multiple places, seemed way to simple to take into all of the variables that different species will have.
That is a new one for me :)

Seen plenty of other crazy aquarium math stocking theories but not that one.

Demasoni are recommended minimum 10 to help spread our conspecific aggression. They are dwarf mbuna so you can keep more. Maybe do 10-12 and then pick another 2-3 species 4-5 each that don't have similar coloring.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For a 75 gallon I would put about 20-25 fish and don't do 4 each try to have less aggressive fish (demasoni) outnumbering more aggressive fish(maingano)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom