75 gallon south american cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am sort of rethinking this Oscar idea until I can get a 125 so i know i want a black ghost knife, and 4 silver dollars. I am looking at different cichlid types Jack Dempsey, Texas Cichlid, Convict, Severum, Green Terror, which of these list do you think will go best with the ghost knife and silver dollars.

Blue Acara. But of the one's you listed Severum. I don't really know all that much about black ghosts but something is telling me that the other fish would be too aggressive for it.

Actually I have heard the black ghost is quite aggressive not sure if I'm right on that one but I was thinking maybe a jack would get it as a baby 5 silver dollars and the ghost but I don't know yet.

Well I wouldn't put anything with a jack dempsey. They are more aggressive then classifed.. I've seen [2] 2" jacks torment [6] 5" convicts to death.. One by one....

The ghost will do fine in both a community or cichlid tank. They are slightly aggressive but there also only 1" tall.. As long as they have somewhere to hide... The silver dollars are community only fish...

IMO I wouldn't put the silver dollars in if I wanted a cichlid tank..The knife is cool tho..

Alright could I do a severum, firemouth, convict ghost knife and some type of small dither fish any ideas.

If you are looking for Dithers for Cichlids....Tin Foil Barbs....They will stay the pace in growth and Fast. If you are looking for Small Giant Danios they get about 4 inches and real fast .You'll need at least 5+ danios to school and a Shoal of the Tin Foil Barbs 6+.

It's only a 75 gallon though I have heard tin foils need a 125 gallon minimum.

It's only a 75 gallon though I have heard tin foils need a 125 gallon minimum.

Your correct tin foils will reach 12-14" and have no business in that size tank. Buenes Aires or Congo Tetras are good choices for fast schooling fish. IMO a BGK and some a schooling fish fill out a 75g long term, especially when they hit the 16-20" mark.

Well how about this 4 silver dollars, 1 red severum, 1 Black Ghost knife I think the severum will get along with the silver dollars since IMO they are a very peaceful cichlid any thoughts on this.

josh7 said:
Well how about this 4 silver dollars, 1 red severum, 1 Black Ghost knife I think the severum will get along with the silver dollars since IMO they are a very peaceful cichlid any thoughts on this.

Just one cichlid should be alright. Try for a female that why it's even less aggressive.

Okay then how can you sex a red severum.

It's called venting. You flip fish over and look at their a**holes. If there two holes are the same size their male, if one hole is smaller than the other it's a female.

I'm thinking about dropping the ghost knife they just seem to big could I do a severum pair 4 silver dollars some type of bottom feeder. Or could a jack dempsey pair and clown loaches work.

You could certainly do a pair of Sev's or Jack's but instead of clowns which are slow growers but do get large I'd choose yoyo's instead. Then you could also keep a small school of tetras as well(depending on your pairs tolerance level).

I already have yoyos and was wanting something different at all my lfs's around here the clowns are sold at 4-5 inches is that okay to put with them with a jack or sec since they are already that big.

You could do clowns but at some point you would certainly need a larger tank and rehome them since they will reach 12"+...it takes a long time with these guys.

Yah I would plan an upgrade to a 125 whenever they reached 10 inches how long would that even take them though and instead of a jack pair as they seem really aggressive could I do a single jack and some silver dollars or should I just do a red severum pair. Also if you mix severum colors will different colors pair up.

Alright I won't get clowns either I just want something that's good for a 75 I think I will go with a Jack Dempsey pair and a featherfin catfish. Also could I possibly try another catfish with them.

I don't know about a red severum being peaceful or not..... Mine is probably the most aggressive in my tank.... Lol
I have two tiger Oscars the red spotted golden servrum and a red devil. The severum is quite tempermental..... Especially to my red devil... But the devil is smaller.... Might just be a dominance thing... :/ when I added him he was the largest and now my Oscars are quickly out growing him... Odd behavior compared to what I've heard about severums.

Back
Top Bottom