75 gallon start up! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angellove78

Aquarium Advice Addict
Please help! I got 5 baby dime size orange marble angel baby's gonna b here tomorrow. My water tests were all safe till yesterday. The nitrate level went up a level. I did a 50% water change only because my baby's r being shipped, already stressed out, and wanted to get it out of way so they can settle in without more shock and stress. My tank has cycling for 1-2 wks this is my first water change. I'm nervous my bother in-law said I shouldn't have did the water change and shouldn't do 1 for a while and let the tank cycle. But not trusting his method from everything I read online. I know the levels in the water (ammonia)is not good and really keeping an eye on it cause I got tap water. P.s I have no fish in this tank yet. This is a start up. Thank you! Just need to know what to do, if I'm doing OK, and if there's anything I really need to know.

With this tank being New and sounds not to be quite cycled yet, I would see if you can get your hands on some filter media from an established tank ASAP to put in your filter to help get some benificial bacteria going. You will probably have to do water changes daily for a bit. I would suggest you get an api test kit and test it daily.
Hopefully some one will respond to you as well. I have had my tank for 12 years but I never had to cycle it. It came with a used filter .
Good luck!

The filter and tank is used. The media in the filter was in it when I got it. I just put new pads and carbon media in it. All I did with the media was cleaned it in hot water. I was mostly wondering about the water changes. This is a big tank for baby fish. Thank you!

new 75 gallon tank. Can I put fish in if I have used filter, stone etc

Hi,
I have purchased a new 75 gallon tank and new Fluval 100 gallon filter. I am planning on moving 2 Oranda goldfish from an established 20L tank and 2 from an outside deck pond into the new tank. Can I put the fish directly into the new tank if I take the old Fluval filter material, water from the 20L and some from the deck pond, as well as the gravel from one with the addition of some new gravel? It seems as though I would be ok but don't want to try it if I shouldn't. (I did a fish cycle once as I didn't know any better but sure don't want to go there again!)
Thanks for any assistance you can give me. I am anxious to get the new tank going but don't want to hurt my fish. They are doing really well and I don't want to mess it up.
Elaine

Gold fish r very hardy. Think as long as ur temp of waters r the same. U should be OK. Think I'd test both waters to see the conditions they both live in. If they're around the same on everything, it would b fine.

Update to the new 75 gal set up from above. I used all the substrate from the deck pond and the inside 20 gal tank and used both the fluval 206 and 406 filters as well as a good bit of the water from deck pond initially. I moved the 2 fish from the deck into the tank right away and added water from there into the 20 gal overnight to help acclimate the others inside. Things looked good and I moved the other 2 into the tank in the morning. The water was a bit chilly compared to inside so I simply left it to come up to room temp. The plants were moved over in the morning and I added some silk artificial as well as the goldfish tend to eat them so if it gets a little sparse, there will still be something to look at! I have been changing out about 9 or 12 gallons every other day. So far, everything looks pretty good and the fish seem very happy! Ammonia levels are nearly zero, nitrites low and nitrates about 20. Didn't test yet today I also added a bubble bar just because my husband likes them. Do you think that I should remove the 206 filter or let it go with the 406? The other tank is currently waiting in the attic til the room is redone where the angel tank will be set up.

Awesome! A 20 gallon with 4 gold fish. I'd probably try the 406 for a while. Depending on the size fish you have and how much the poop. Just keep a close eye on it for about 2 wks. If it starts getting really cloudy within that time, your gonna wanta add the other one. You should be fine. Just watch for cloudiness. That cloudy water will give gold fish fin rot. all sounds good.

Awesome! A 20 gallon with 4 gold fish. I'd probably try the 406 for a while. Depending on the size fish you have and how much the poop. Just keep a close eye on it for about 2 wks. If it starts getting really cloudy within that time, your gonna wanta add the other one. You should be fine. Just watch for cloudiness. That cloudy water will give gold fish fin rot. all sounds good.
The 4 goldfish are all in the 75 gallon now with both the 206 and 406 filters running. I am contemplating removing the 206 when I set the other tank back up but maybe I would be better off letting both on.

U can try 1 for a few days and watch ur water for cloudiness and do a water test when ever u think its questionable. Less water changes and cleaning with a good filter system. ?

Back
Top Bottom