75 gallon stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randomguy1191

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 75 gallon with a ~7 inch Jack Dempsey and a ~3 inch Green Terror.

They have an interesting relationship, the GT will always stays close to the JD, following it everywhere. The JD doesn't mind, but occasional the terror will snap at the JD and attack it, the JD doesn't really react, he slowly swims away and rarely fights back. I think the mild aggression might be due to the fact that I'm currently treating ich with temperature and salt, I'll see how they behave when I drop the temp in a few days.

So, I was wondering what else would I be able to add to the tank? Ideally, I want 5 fish (4 cichlids and 1 catfish or pelco). My two options are 1- getting two new cichlids or 2- Selling the GT and getting three new cichlids. Which of these is the smarter choice? What species of cichlids could I add, if any at all? I'm really fond of the jewel cichlid, rainbow cichlid (pita to find tho), firemouth, female salvini, female convict. What do you guys think?

p.s.- I have an empty 10 gallon I could use as a grow out tank, also, I included a pic of two if it matters

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20150612_134602.jpg
    IMG_20150612_134602.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 98
If you want to do more fish I would trade in the GT for either a few Rainbow Cichlid, Firemouth, or convicts. I prefer Rainbows. Jeff Rapps has some that you would have to grow out but they are so worth it.

The big guys are cool and all but it gets tiring worrying about who is going to kill who. Rainbows have better color than salvini IMO and they dont have the attitude that salvini have. Salvini spend all their time hiding when they aren't trying to kill something in my experience.

These are mines

Thanks. If I were to sell the GT and get 1 of each of those (firemouth, convict, rainbow), do you think the rainbow will be able to hold it's own? My JD is fairly timid like I mentioned earlier, but I heard firemouths and especially convicts can be nasty.

Also, is there any reason you recommend against the jewel? I heard they can be mixed with new world cichlids since they're not from the rift lakes.

Thanks. If I were to sell the GT and get 1 of each of those (firemouth, convict, rainbow), do you think the rainbow will be able to hold it's own? My JD is fairly timid like I mentioned earlier, but I heard firemouths and especially convicts can be nasty.

Also, is there any reason you recommend against the jewel? I heard they can be mixed with new world cichlids since they're not from the rift lakes.

I didn't recomend against jewels I just didn't suggest it cause I don't care for them and don't know what they are like except I here they get nasty.

You shouldn't do 1 of each. Pic one type and keep a group. You will get better colors and they will be more entertaining to watch. Rainbow are the most timid of the 3 It would most certainly get beat up and stressed. Rainbows need to be around others of its kind minimum of 3.

In the pics above I have 2 groups in the tank. Rainbows x 3 and Honduran Red Points x 6. Both are on the lower end of the spectrum as far as aggression goes.

Thanks for your help so far!

So I'll probably go with 3 of either the firemouths or convicts, I'm leaning towards the convicts.

Last question-

So say I go with the convicts, I'd get them all the same sex since I don't want any mating. Probably all females since they have the orange belly and stay smaller. But my JD is a male, is there a risk of him pairing/spawning with one of the 3 convicts and then the pair ganging up on the other two?

Convicts will pair with just about anything. So yes that is possible. Actually a convict would possibly work with GT in the tank for a while. They are much tougher than the other FM or rainbows.

Back
Top Bottom