75g American Cichlid compatability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I’ve decided to turn my new 75g into a CA setup.

I’ll have to learn how to manage a planted Aquarium, but I’m excited to learn.

Fish-wise, I know there’s no garuntee, but I wanted to see if there’s any immediate compatibility issues with this stock:

Jack Dempsey
Red Terror
Jaguar
6-8 Large Australian Rainbow Fish

I’m also interested in:

Salvini
Green terror
Convict

As other possible tank mates, but I figure for a 75g, 3 large American Cichlids is probably the right stocking.

If I could do a 4th, I’d look at the Green Terror, or Salvini first.

I’ve decided to turn my new 75g into a CA setup.

I’ll have to learn how to manage a planted Aquarium, but I’m excited to learn.

Fish-wise, I know there’s no garuntee, but I wanted to see if there’s any immediate compatibility issues with this stock:

Jack Dempsey
Red Terror
Jaguar
6-8 Large Australian Rainbow Fish

I’m also interested in:

Salvini
Green terror
Convict

As other possible tank mates, but I figure for a 75g, 3 large American Cichlids is probably the right stocking.

If I could do a 4th, I’d look at the Green Terror, or Salvini first.

A 75 gallon aquarium is too small for those species except the Jack Dempsey. You will need a aquarium over 300 gallons to attempt to keep the Red Terror, Jaguar, and Jack Dempsey together once they matured. All cichlid species are territorial and require proper space. In the wild large cichlid patrol area of lakes larger than any average aquarium for the home.

A 75 gallon aquarium is too small for those species except the Jack Dempsey. You will need a aquarium over 300 gallons to attempt to keep the Red Terror, Jaguar, and Jack Dempsey together once they matured. All cichlid species are territorial and require proper space. In the wild large cichlid patrol area of lakes larger than any average aquarium for the home.

What about the Salvini or Convicts?

I’m hearing varying things about tank size for these. There’s a very popular Cichlid youtuber that literally has that same setup. (With the Salvini, green terror, Dempsey and Convict, not the Jaguar)

Oh, the red terror. And jaguar get up to 18” thats WAYYYYY too big, good looking out.

What about the Salvini or Convicts?

I’m hearing varying things about tank size for these. There’s a very popular Cichlid youtuber that literally has that same setup. (With the Salvini, green terror, Dempsey and Convict, not the Jaguar)
Salvini are very mean and territorial. And they hide alot so are kinda boring imo. Firemouth and convicts will fit well in a 75 and both have loads of personality

Gold sevrums are a good center piece fish

I’m leaning more towards having a JD as a centerpiece fish.

So my revised plan, as if now anyway

Jack Dempsey

Honduran Red Point Convicts X 2

Yellow Firemouth x 2

Bosemani Rainbow Fish X 2
Australian Rainbowfish x 5

Petricola or Synodontis Catfish.

That might be too many fish

Maybe go for an Electric Blue JD over the standard. They don't normally grow quite as large & are a little more subdued.

In general I'm not a big fan of keeping Convicts. More or less a nuisance fish. Too prolific of a breeder w/ no outlets for unwanted fry.

In general I'm not a big fan of keeping Convicts. More or less a nuisance fish. Too prolific of a breeder w/ no outlets for unwanted fry.
I love them, they're fun to watch in a cichlid tank. But your right about the breeding. I had mine spawn twice, now I have the females in a sorority tank alone, and the 3 males I had left spread amongst 3 other tanks. No one wants the fry even free. I fed dozens to my African cichlids (gasp!)

Back
Top Bottom