90 gal oscar/silver dollar question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you do ~50% weekly changes you should be set.

With this stock you can but the fish at any size as long as the GT is equal or bigger to the FM. They are both pretty slow growers, although ive heard that the Uaru is even slower...

I wouldnt personally do this because i would keep my Oscar in the 90 but if i was to keep a GT in that size tank i would do the list that i just posted...

Although you may reduce the number of Giant Danios to 8 if you want... 8-16 is a good school.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I think this stock will be perfect, i decreased the danios to 12 , but should i add the pair and green terror at the same time ? Should i buy the green terror bigger then the FM pair ? Or opposite ?

The featherfin is the "Euptarus" or however you spell it. It generally gets between 5-8 inches and 6 is usually the maximum size. However i have put them in a community 29 gallon when they were 6 inches due to a lack of space i had, and they didnt increase the bioload by a significant amount. They eat all leftovers and produce little waste.

Eupturus generally get to 8" and can get up to 12" even.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think no matter what is listed, it's too much. If you want a lot of fish, go the peaceful route, like a severum with a pair of keyholes cichlids, a group of dither fish (tetras) and then a small group of catfish like cories, port holes, or hoplos.

If you want more aggressive fish, keep it simple. A single green terror and a couple medium sized catfish like raphaels, or a group of adult hoplo catfish

Eupturus generally get to 8" and can get up to 12" even.

Hmmm i dont agree with anything above 8. I guess it is possible but not in normal aquarium circumstances. Unless i could see someone who has grown them that big then i dont think thats right.

I think this stock will be perfect, i decreased the danios to 12 , but should i add the pair and green terror at the same time ? Should i buy the green terror bigger then the FM pair ? Or opposite ?

Well i would put the pair of FM and the Danios in first, followed by the GT and the Syno in like 2-3 weeks. You probably should only do 1-2 Syno as three is a bit much, but its up to you.

Hmmm i dont agree with anything above 8. I guess it is possible but not in normal aquarium circumstances. Unless i could see someone who has grown them that big then i dont think thats right.

This is where being kept in a proper size Aquarium comes in. To small a tank and over stocking and lack of proper maintenance causes stunting. I have seen 3 year old Oscars at 7 to 8 inches due to this.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is where being kept in a proper size Aquarium comes in. To small a tank and over stocking and lack of proper maintenance causes stunting. I have seen 3 year old Oscars at 7 to 8 inches due to this.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My reasoning for beleiving that they only get about 8 inches max is that in all the research ive done, i have found that they get to 8 inches. People keep them in tanks of hundreds of gallons and they still are far off from 12".

Unless you've personally seen a Syno that is 100% surely a Eupterus, i would say that someone confused the species and said that the larger variety was the Eupterus.

Again, willing to believe otherwise if sufficient evidence is given.

Well i would put the pair of FM and the Danios in first, followed by the GT and the Syno in like 2-3 weeks. You probably should only do 1-2 Syno as three is a bit much, but its up to you.

I always thought I've read that syno cats did best in groups, but I have never kept them...

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A simple google search and using the links on the 1st page will list everything from 7.8" to 11.7" with most saying in aquaria around 9".
To the OP I'm stepping away at this point and going to let you decide which is best for your tank. I wish you the best with your new stock.
Enjoy!

A simple google search and using the links on the 1st page will list everything from 7.8" to 11.7" with most saying in aquaria around 9".
To the OP I'm stepping away at this point and going to let you decide which is best for your tank. I wish you the best with your new stock.
Enjoy!

I can believe that they CAN grow bigger than 8, but i don't think it is likely. Its similar to Oscars. You can keep them alone in 500 gallons of water and the chances of them growing to the possible 19"are very slim, even though there is the 1/1000 chance that they do.

I can believe that they CAN grow bigger than 8, but i don't think it is likely. Its similar to Oscars. You can keep them alone in 500 gallons of water and the chances of them growing to the possible 19"are very slim, even though there is the 1/1000 chance that they do.

Hence why I said "can".........

It acts tough by chasing and flaring but they can not really stand an equal chance against fish of equal size... Except against another firemouth

Il update this post when the tank is ready :) , one more question what is the best bottom feeder for this tank ? Im not tottaly sure about the synos :)

Syno are very good, but large. If you don't want those, you can do one of the types of large Cories, or some smaller Loach species such as Zebra or YoYo.

Personally with your stock i would do a single Syno, but a double is possible.

Zebra Loaches are some of the fastest fish that i have ever seen in any of my tanks, i had to drain the water down to 1 inch to be able to catch them and i took me 1/2 an hour in a 29 gallon. What im trying to say is, they should not have a problem escaping larger cichlids that may try to eat them when they are young.

YoYo loaches are a nice looking fish.

Some of the Cories you can find will get about 3-4 inches, but im not sure how common they are to find. I don't think a green terror could eat a grown one of those.

Firemouths themselves are decent cleaners, they sift the sand through their gills to get particles out.

For all these fish i have to say that it is very important to use sand.

Looking forward to updates!

Medium sized pepples are in my tank , dont want to bother switching to sand atm :)

But il think il do a single syno , if they get as large as you guys have said :)

Back
Top Bottom