90 gallon peacock and hap tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayhawk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Working on a plan to stock my new 90 gallon 4 ft. tank. I like the Livinstoni cichlid, the Electric Blue Hap (Sciaenochromis fryeri), Ruby Red Peacock (Aulonocara stuartgranti), and maybe some Lemon Jack cichlids. What combination of these (if any) would work? Are the female Livinstoni smaller than the males? I am impressed by the size of these fish, but I don't want to squeeze them into too small of a tank.

If I go with the Livinstoni, how many could I keep, and what would be good tankmates for them?

If I go with the Peacocks and keep it on a smaller scale, what would be a good number to keep?

The peacocks might hybrid, or cross or whatever you want to call it. Because the lemon Jakes are also a peacock cichlid. Other than that yes. I believe it will work.

Rock chalk Jayhawk.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IMO a 90g is way too small to have a Livingstonii pair, once they start breeding the male will be very aggressive, more than they already are. With the footprint on a 90g and the peacocks ranging from 5-7 inches, they won't have many places to go if they get the Livingstonii male on them, which in turn would cause injury and overnight possible casualties. If it was me, I would strictly make it an all male tank until you get a larger tank to accommodate the new aggression caused by females.

Ok, I finally got the tank setup last weekend. I put my small Yellow Tail Acei in it (~2.5in), along with 2 more I picked up (~4in). Aside from re-arranging the sand immediately, they seem to be doing well. I took 1/3 of the eheim media from my established tank and put it in the eheim 2075 I got for this tank. So far 0 ammonia and nitrites, so everything is looking good. How quickly should I stock the tank? I have found many of the fish I want are not available locally, so I'm thinking of ordering at least some of them online. I don't want to make more orders than necessary though to minimize shipping costs. So here is my plan for stocking:

(3) Yellow Tail Acei (1m/2f)
(4) Super Red Empress (1m/3f)
(4) Otopharynx Lithobates (zimbabwe rock) (1m/3f)
(4) Copadichromis Azureus (1m/3f)
(5) Aulonocara of various types (5m)

Is it a bad idea to have some groups with females, and some without?
http://livefishdirect.com/store.php?fid=42

Back
Top Bottom