90 gallon stock???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im bored with community freshwater fish, so ive decided to switch my tank over to some bigger fish. I kno that a 90 gallon tank cannot fit to many big fish. Im thinking something like oscars, jacks, severums, etc.

I would like for the more experienced on here to let me kno what a good stock would be for my 90 gallon????
Im for sure going to get 5 or silver dollars.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you were going to get 5 silver dollars is say you could put 1 Oscar in with it and that would be about stocked. Oscars are big and messy fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, 5 SD and an O seem like a good list.

Also you could do a JD instead of the O, or do 3-4 Severums with some Cories.

Only a female Jag would work. Only 1 Oscar but maybe 2 if they are alone, compatible, and very well maintained. GT or JD leaves a bit of wiggle room, as they are a bit smaller. Severums could be housed with a variety of other fish, including some 5-6 inch cichlids.

If you're set on SD that affects things but not drastically.

Let us know what your favorites are and what you're really looking for in this tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, 5 SD and an O seem like a good list.

Also you could do a JD instead of the O, or do 3-4 Severums with some Cories.

Only a female Jag would work. Only 1 Oscar but maybe 2 if they are alone, compatible, and very well maintained. GT or JD leaves a bit of wiggle room, as they are a bit smaller. Severums could be housed with a variety of other fish, including some 5-6 inch cichlids.

If you're set on SD that affects things but not drastically.

Let us know what your favorites are and what you're really looking for in this tank.

My favs are jacks, oscars, and silver dollars. Im thinking:
1 oscar
1 jack Dempsey
5 silver dollars

Would this work???

There's no real way of saying if it will or not. I have a Oscar and jack Dempsey in my 240 gallon tank and they are fine. If you were going to try if say make sure you have a lot of places for each to hide and make sure the jack Dempsey has a cave of its own as they are territorial and the like to hide. Not because they are a whip because they like to be left alone and stuff they will not back down from a fight.
As I said before the Oscar is s huge bio load though

You could also go with a smaller variant of the silver dollars such as the spotted metynnis

There's no real way of saying if it will or not. I have a Oscar and jack Dempsey in my 240 gallon tank and they are fine. If you were going to try if say make sure you have a lot of places for each to hide and make sure the jack Dempsey has a cave of its own as they are territorial and the like to hide. Not because they are a whip because they like to be left alone and stuff they will not back down from a fight.
As I said before the Oscar is s huge bio load though

Ok not sure yet. I still might not get an oscar. I for sure am getting a jack and silver dollars.

I would say do a breeding pair of Jacks and do 5 silver dollars.

I wouldn't personally do an Oscar with anything other than the SD in that tank as i have firsthand experience on how extremely messy they are.

I would say do a breeding pair of Jacks and do 5 silver dollars.

I wouldn't personally do an Oscar with anything other than the SD in that tank as i have firsthand experience on how extremely messy they are.

Agreed a breaking pair of jacks would be nice

Yessir.

I wouldnt recommend Electric Blue JDs though. They usually have weak genetics.

Yessir.

I wouldnt recommend Electric Blue JDs though. They usually have weak genetics.

The regular ones are just as striking and beautiful. Love mine. Can't say I know what sex it is though haha

Yep i like the regular ones too. IMO the EBJDs are brighter. But the often die and they are expensive so they arent worth it IMO

If i only get 1 jack and 5 silver dollars, what else can i get???

I dont want a breeding pair.

If i only get 1 jack and 5 silver dollars, what else can i get???

I dont want a breeding pair.

Hmm well that would depend on what you like. You could possibly try something like a nandopsis salvini. But I don't have any experience with salvini

Hmm well that would depend on what you like. You could possibly try something like a nandopsis salvini. But I don't have any experience with salvini

I dont kno scientific names sorry. Whats that?

Ok. I looked them up. I might try that.

So here is what i want.
1 jack
1 texas salvini
5 silver dollars

Will this work in my 90 gallon?

Salvini will typically be too aggressive for a jack in that size tank.

Back
Top Bottom