a couple more questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakeras

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone. I have a few more questions. I read on a few forums and websites that blue rams would be fine in a 10 gallon. Is that true? And is chiclid pronounced chick-lid, sick-lid, chi-chill-id, or what?

Hey everyone. I have a few more questions. I read on a few forums and websites that blue rams would be fine in a 10 gallon. Is that true? And is chiclid pronounced chick-lid, sick-lid, chi-chill-id, or what?

You mean you like chicklets? Lol jk it's pronounced SICK-lid. A pair would be fine in a ten gallon BUT, just getting a male and female will not guarantee you a pair. So personally I would advise against it. But you could get one ram and some tetras. Always aim to have a larger tank, there is less that can go wrong water quality wise.

Thanks. I never knew it was pronouned sick-lid. One more question: I think ill go with one ram and tetras. Could the ram be kept in a planted tank?

If you are using a 10 gallon tank? Your very limited stock wise. Most tetras need a minimum of 20g, many say even the little neon tetras are ok in a 10, some say they need atleast a 20g; not because of size but because of how active they are. And I personally wouldn't put a ram in a 10g. But as I said there are varying opinions. It would be better if you are buying an aquarium to get as large of one as you can afford and have space for, because the larger volume you have there is more room for error incase it occurs. Just keep in mind if you go with rams most rams are sensitive to nitrates so be sure and have a good test kit on had to keep and eye on levels, and please, please, please be sure your tank is fully cycled.

I did a little more research and found the paradise fish. I don't think it is a chiclid, but I looks pretty cool. Would anyone reccomend that for a 10 gallon?

I did a little more research and found the paradise fish. I don't think it is a chiclid, but I looks pretty cool. Would anyone reccomend that for a 10 gallon?

What are the specs on the fish that you found?

If you are using a 10 gallon tank? Your very limited stock wise. Most tetras need a minimum of 20g, many say even the little neon tetras are ok in a 10, some say they need atleast a 20g; not because of size but because of how active they are. And I personally wouldn't put a ram in a 10g. But as I said there are varying opinions. It would be better if you are buying an aquarium to get as large of one as you can afford and have space for, because the larger volume you have there is more room for error incase it occurs. Just keep in mind if you go with rams most rams are sensitive to nitrates so be sure and have a good test kit on had to keep and eye on levels, and please, please, please be sure your tank is fully cycled.

If you get a quality ram then normal maintenance and WC's will be just fine. I have found that they are actually quite hardy, and a ten gallon would be fine. But I would advise you plant it really well and add some driftwood or rock for some diversity in decor

If you get a quality ram then normal maintenance and WC's will be just fine. I have found that they are actually quite hardy, and a ten gallon would be fine. But I would advise you plant it really well and add some driftwood or rock for some diversity in decor

I agree with planting really well. That will help keep your nitrates in check, which is what most rams are sensitive too. Just keep in mind, the smaller the tank the quicker toxins (ammonia and nitrate) will build up, so just to be safe if you do use a 10g be sure and test your levels regularly and do water changes as needed.

None of the petstores near me (all are the big box ones) have blue rams. I think ill actually go with a gourami. Thanks for all the answers tho.

Just be prepared that shipping on fish is a bit pricey there as well as anywhere else. But if you happen to buy multiple fish it's usually worth it that way.

Back
Top Bottom