A Few Angelfish Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
My dad is resetting up the 75 gallon and I want an angelfish. So here are my questions:

-If I only have one angelfish in the tank, will it be aggressive to the other occupants in a community? I've heard lots of success stories with only one.

-Is a 75 gallon okay for an angelfish? I assume it is.

-Exactly how big do they get? I've seen it somewhere but can't remember right now.

-Do they have any specific needs, such as feeding, parameters, etc. I know what parameters should be, but I read that some sensitive fish need less nitrates too? Are angelfish one of these?

-Any tips, tricks, and general advice welcome and greatly appreciated.

I haven't had a lot of time to research, so I'm starting that process. I can't have any angels in my other tanks, so I wanted to have one in this one. Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me.

One would be fine. I say get him when he's young though, so he is well adjusted to his tank mates and use to them. They get to about 6" inches. No special feeding, mine do LOVE bloodworms though! I keep my pH at a 7.0 for my pair. Not sure if this is a universal number but my pair is more active with this arrangement. *Oh and when you get one,make sure you put your finger in the water during feeding time, angel kisses are the best kisses! :)

Dylan5359 said:
One would be fine. I say get him when he's young though, so he is well adjusted to his tank mates and use to them. They get to about 6" inches. No special feeding, mine do LOVE bloodworms though! I keep my pH at a 7.0 for my pair. Not sure if this is a universal number but my pair is more active with this arrangement. *Oh and when you get one,make sure you put your finger in the water during feeding time, angel kisses are the best kisses! :)

Thanks. Also, do angel kisses Hirt like betta kisses? Lol.

Should I put him in last? Also, I started a journey thread, it has my stocking list so far. It's not impressive...

Never had a betta kiss... Waiting for that special one.. Lol ;) At first your a little nervous but no they actually feel really funny. I put my angelfish in last. Not sure if it makes that much of a difference though.

Dylan5359 said:
Never had a betta kiss... Waiting for that special one.. Lol ;) At first your a little nervous but no they actually feel really funny. I put my angelfish in last. Not sure if it makes that much of a difference though.

Lol. They hurt. Bettas are like mini piranhas. Hidden teeth that are surprisingly sharp, and them being all cute, luring you in with their begging eyes, an then SNAP! You're pulling your hand back with wide eyes at the ferocity of the little cutie.

But... Back on topic. To be safe, I'll put my angel in last and be waiting for those kisses!

I currently have 3 angelfish (did have 6) and the only thing I would suggest is, if you do decide to get a second one later on make sure they are exactly the same size, if one is just a little smaller the big one will pick on it. Which means no food for the little guy and the next thing you know he's floating in the tank.

I also noticed they are vary sensitive to changing water parameters, I would suggest doing water changes in small increments, and avoid changing 50+% of the water at one time

And they only seem to fight with each other, I have a gobi, rams and mollies that are all half the size of the angels and they never bother each other

And lastly avoid getting a breed that is known to be small and putting with a breed that is known to grow large, in most cases death will occur

Sorry for the long message and hope that helps :)

kevkev3321 said:
Haha okay they are beautiful fish and I love how there not shy lol

Yup. Such wonderful fish. I have two tens and a twenty nine gallon right now, so the angel wouldn't be able to go into those. So this 75 will be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom