A new pair of tiny GBRs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shark21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just went to get dog food from a local Petsmart a few hours ago and had to look at the fish of course!...not even planning on buying fish I see this pair of tiny GBRs in a 10g tank with like 8 med. sized Tiger Oscars...so I said give me those two...i dont usually buy fish from big box stores but just happens sometimes... anyways long story short one is doing great! but unfortunately due to the stress of being harassed by Oscars and the move..... the poor thing is like in shock! Just laying at the bottom breathing heavy! Sometimes moves around here and there but right now dies not look good..

PS: I don't have a QT tank set up right now because I didn't plan on getting fish any time soon..this was just random...I don't think he is sick just in shock...hope the little guy pulls through!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do a big water change and see if that helps, what temp is your tank?

May the force be with you.

Yes..I did..tank is at 82deg..so it has nothing to do with the water ....like I said the other one is doing great...unfortunately the little guy died this morning....poor thing looked like the "runt" of the litter they were both small but he was tiny...to much stress for the little guy all at once...the other one looks great though eating and swimming around with no problems. .
Thanks for the input!

Sorry to hear about the little one. I'm surprised that Petsmart sells GBRs, as their fishkeeping practices aren't conducive to keeping them alive long enough to sell them. Mine only sells Bolivians.

It sounds like your water parameters are good, so hopefully you'll have better long-term luck with the other one. My (unsolicited) advice would be feed a varied diet, don't overfeed (a fasting day helps), keep your nitrates under 15 ppm, and match your water temperatures as closely as possible when doing water changes. (I use a 25 W heater to adjust my fresh water to tank temperature overnight.)

Thanks for the advice...thats not a bad idea with the 25w heater over night....never had temp problems after my WC but still a good idea just to make sure you are up to temp...this is why I love this site it is interesting to see other people's "tricks of the trade".

Back
Top Bottom