Acei Cichlid in a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gplundberg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone!

I have an Acei Cichlid and have it in a 10 Gallon Tank. Could it live its life out in that tank or do I have to buy a bigger tank for it later on? He is only about 1.5 inches right now.

Thanks for the Advice!

No, acei are not only social, but they are a large Mbuna, reaching 6-7", requiring a 75 gallon long term. For one, I'd say maybe a 40 long, but definitely not a 10 gallon.

So just for one fish I need a 75 gallon tank?! Could I move him to a 29 or 20 long on its own?

Haha ur fine if u do a 29 if hes the only fish

In all honesty u cud probably do two or three ... The biggest acei ive seen is only like 5 inches they dont get that big

Last edited by a moderator:
Acei don't get that big? They're one of the bigger Mbuna species. I wouldn't keep an acei alone, they're a social species, and I certainly wouldn't keep 3 in a 29 gallon.

So there is no way of keeping 1 in a 29

No sadly not if you could a 55 but bare min a 75 gal would be a whole lot better than 55 no not just one fish in a 75 haha you could prob do 7-8 other munba in a 55-75 such as yellow lab red zebra, etc u need lots of rocks filtration but it really pays off bc they are beautiful fish.

Acei do not belong in a 10g or a 29g tank. Keeping 2 or 3 in a 29g aquarium is a recipe for disaster and mayhem. As stated, these are social fish that need to be kept in groups, not individually.

Back
Top Bottom