Acrylic tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Only200

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone made a acrylic tank? I'm thinking of a bigger tank but in my area the biggest tank I've found is a 150gal maybe it's my issue but I want bigger as for dimensions a 150 isn't that much bigger then my 75 it's only about 2 foot longer so now I'm thinking of making a acrylic tank around a 350gal has anyone made one and does anyone know where to buy the acrylic in the north west us thanks

I hope u have a large oven to bake it. I thought acrylic tanks needed to be placed in a very large oven.

Not quite sure myself but just heard stories about baking. I know there's a lot of standing and buffing involved to make it seamless and clear.

A 150 gallon tank is roughly 72" x 18" x 30" if memory serves me right, believe it or not that's a huge difference compared to a 75, you may not think so but your fish will notice the difference.

Building a Acrylic tank by your self requires some seriously thick and expensive materials. You're better off just buying a tank or getting one made.

The two tanks I really want are;
8' x 2' x 2' @ 240 gallons.
10' x 3' x 2' @ 450 gallons

I would love a 10-3-2 tank. And I thank you all for your posts but I still think I'm going to try it for me it's a major step in the hobby to stand up proud and say not only did I set the tank up plan out all the species landscape and plants but I also built the tank. For me it's my little accomplishment and if I end up putting 4grand into the build and it doesn't work then at least I tryed and learned and then I will try again that 10-3-2 is 3950 and a 3 day drive round trip it's worth it yes I'm going to try a smaller tank to start one that I could use for a sump for the big one so the cost isnt as bad and go from there and I have 3 guys that are willing to help me. I'm going to keep planing and hopefully by the end of the year I will have everything planed and the first tank built I will post pics at that time with progress and steps to try to help anyone else that's wanting to try

Ok I have to ask what fish do you want I'm going for both a frontosa tank and the biggest African cichlid tank that I've seen what do you want

Only200 said:
Ok I have to ask what fish do you want I'm going for both a frontosa tank and the biggest African cichlid tank that I've seen what do you want

Boulengerochromis microlepis aka Emperor or Giant Cichlid, not only the largest African cichlid at 36" but also reported to be the worlds largest cichlid.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1946

Oh ok i took what you said wrong lol. I see now and your right once you get one size you just want the next bigger and the next and the next!! What i thought that you meant was that a 450g wasn't going to be big enough for a certain fish that you wanted!

Cecil2010 said:
Oh ok i took what you said wrong lol. I see now and your right once you get one size you just want the next bigger and the next and the next!! What i thought that you meant was that a 450g wasn't going to be big enough for a certain fish that you wanted!

That's exactly what I said a 450g wouldn't be big enough for the fish I really want.

Fro280 said:
Call the guys from tanked?

I requested a quote from them over 1 year ago and never heard anything back from them and it wasn't even anything fancy just a 8x3x3 with filtration system and stand. So in my mind that rules them out, that is no way to conduct a business.

That price I labeled for the 10-3-2 was from them there not to far from me but still far enough

Only200 said:
That price I labeled for the 10-3-2 was from them there not to far from me but still far enough

That's intresting I never heard anything back from them, did you call or email? Was that quote just for the tank?

I don't know I just got on the sit and it was the next day I got the email all I need is a better truck a big trailer and drive 300 miles south but you add it all up +the tank and it's spendy I don't even want to think about shipping on something that big but hell it might not be bad but I still want to build my own I don't know why I do I just do maybe it's because I fix/build cars as a side job and it looks like a fun challenge. By the way guys while I was posting this I'm siting be my tank and my yellow labs are doing the mating circle for the first time hopefully my first successful breed

Back
Top Bottom