Adding 40+ fish at once.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right! Im setting up a peacock tank.

Im going to be adding 4 fish of each peacock species so i end up with a tank with 10 male peacocks.

I know this is definitely the best way to create a harmonious adult male tank.

Obviously losses are out of the question as regards to filtration so, ill be cycling the 65gallon 48x16x22 tank with a fluval 406 and before adding the fish im going to bring a cycled eheim 2213 and an internal fluval over from 2 other tanks. As the fish grow and the males show themselves, the rest shall be given to the lfs.

What you think?

If you are asking can you add 40 fish at once I would say it's a bad idea. That would more than likely throw the tank into a cycle and cause spikes in ammonia and nitrite

Your gonna add 4 fish from ten species at once to a 65 gallon tank so you get a total of 40

Yes thats correct. A total of 40 only until sexable, then i shall keep one of each male. Starting with 40 and ending with 10.

Buying 4 of each will + the chances of getting males and also having the benifit of these fish being the same age, size and benifit of growing up together in a group will help counteract aggression.

The tank isnt the US standard 65 gallon size. which i believe is only 36 inches long. Its the length of a 55 just deeper at 16inchs rather than 13inchs. A juwel rio 240.

Yes thats correct. A total of 40 only until sexable, then i shall keep one of each male. Starting with 40 and ending with 10.

Buying 4 of each will + the chances of getting males and also having the benifit of these fish being the same age, size and benifit of growing up together in a group will help counteract aggression.

The tank isnt the US standard 65 gallon size. which i believe is only 36 inches long. Its the length of a 55 just deeper at 16inchs rather than 13inchs. A juwel rio 240.

That tank is far to small for 40 peacocks. Some you won't know the sex for sure until about 3". Adding them all at once will certainly throw your tank into cycle and you will lose fish. Also if you know what you are doing will cause you to lose fish then it's not a good idea. Peacocks aren't terrible aggressive to begin with so raising them together likely won't have any impact. I would suggest maybe adding 10 a week if not less than that until you get near your number or buy 10 at a sexable size. If you can find someone local most breeders charge about $5 an inch

A cycled tank to 5ppm with my fluval 406. Then place my established eheim 2213 and fluval u4 in the tank also. I actually cant see there being much of an ammonia swing.

While theyre 3inches i cant see space being an issue either.

It doesn't matter how cycled your tank is, 40 fish at a single time will be to much for your tank. If you had like a 180 cycled that'd be a different story but a 65 is still small IMO

It doesn't matter how cycled your tank is, 40 fish at a single time will be to much for your tank. If you had like a 180 cycled that'd be a different story but a 65 is still small IMO

With respect TCC you arnt making any sense. With my ESTABLISHED eheim 2213 from one tank and fluval u4 from another ill be getting 1500lph turnover, which could probably sustain the filtration needs by themselves and thats not including the 406.

If your filters are coming from tanks with as much bio load then it won't matter. Small tank for 40 fish is the real problem. As said that tank will be packed until some of them can be sexed

TCC will correct me if I'm wrong and elaborate, but I think regardless of filtration that amount of fish at the same time will cause an ammonia spike that will be harmful to them. I have 7 peacocks/haps ranging from 2 to 5 inches in a 75 g.. I know you only plan to keep some, but tank will be cramped until then..

If you move a filter from one tank to another that has the same or more bioload there will be no ammonia spike. Unless you manage to kill some of the bb in the move.

While I agree that the ammonia levels shouldn't be an issue with all that filtration, again that assumes a similar bioload in the tanks you are moving them from. So that raises two questions, how stocked are the tanks you are currently running with those filters, and two what do you intend to do about filtration in those tanks once you move the filters? That in turn raises a third question, if you in fact have these other tanks that are up and running, why don't you put some of the small peacocks in them until they grow to sexable size and then move the males you want into the 65? Like others, I think your real issue here is far more likely to be space than filtration. While 40 small fish in a 65 may not seem like much, you are at slightly over 1 gallon per fish. That means they are going to be packed in there pretty tightly, especially since they aren't going to spread out and give each other all that space. I've never raised peacocks myself, so I can't speak to how aggressive they are or aren't, but I can't imagine that with that number of fish in that size tank you aren't going to see any aggression.

While I don't chime in much on the freshwater side I feel I should put my two cents in. :)

I have to agree with all the above posters.....The sheer amount of waste 40 fish will produce will most likely overburden the beneficial bacteria and you will see a spike. That can be handled though I think with a good amount of water changes. The bigger issue os the space those 40 fish will take up. I keep african haps and peacocks, I have a 125g 6 foot tank that was once home to about 25 cichlids. That number dwindled as the fish fought and killed one another off. :-(((( I ended up with about 12 after all was said and done. Those twelve did grow to about 8 inches over the years but the beginning was just horrible as I lost a good number of fish.

I would go about it by using any other tanks you have available and/or adding 10 or so maybe once a week until you get a handle on things.

Like I said it doesn't matter where the filter is coming from. 40 fish is going to strain your beneficial bacteria. I still stand will adding 10
A week. It's not going to end well if you waste your money on 40 fish and dump them in.

Like I said it doesn't matter where the filter is coming from. 40 fish is going to strain your beneficial bacteria. I still stand will adding 10
A week. It's not going to end well if you waste your money on 40 fish and dump them in.

If the filters im adding each have a bioload of at least half of the overall load of 40 fish then ammonitrites are covered, Period.

Some of your posts see to lack basic understanding TCC. Im sorry.

I do understand the swimming space is an issue but my other tanks inhabitants wouldnt appreciate any company. Ahhhh its annoying because i know ideally, adding small groups is the best way to do it. But i also think it would save a hell of alot of issues later on with aggression and fish introduction to add as many as i can that i feel i can manage.

While I agree that the ammonia levels shouldn't be an issue with all that filtration, again that assumes a similar bioload in the tanks you are moving them from. So that raises two questions, how stocked are the tanks you are currently running with those filters, and two what do you intend to do about filtration in those tanks once you move the filters? That in turn raises a third question, if you in fact have these other tanks that are up and running, why don't you put some of the small peacocks in them until they grow to sexable size and then move the males you want into the 65? Like others, I think your real issue here is far more likely to be space than filtration. While 40 small fish in a 65 may not seem like much, you are at slightly over 1 gallon per fish. That means they are going to be packed in there pretty tightly, especially since they aren't going to spread out and give each other all that space. I've never raised peacocks myself, so I can't speak to how aggressive they are or aren't, but I can't imagine that with that number of fish in that size tank you aren't going to see any aggression.

Exactly, id like to dwell on on the last thing you mentioned.. With 40 fish in the tank aggression will be low and could put me in good stead for when i cut them down to 10.

If the filters im adding each have a bioload of at least half of the overall load of 40 fish then ammonitrites are covered, Period.

Some of your posts see to lack basic understanding TCC. Im sorry.

I do understand the swimming space is an issue but my other tanks inhabitants wouldnt appreciate any company. Ahhhh its annoying because i know ideally, adding small groups is the best way to do it. But i also think it would save a hell of alot of issues later on with aggression and fish introduction to add as many as i can that i feel i can manage.

Good luck. Peacocks are expensive.

Good luck. Peacocks are expensive.

4 for $40 but will probably get discount on 40. Ill have 30 peacocks left over!! Ill give them to my lfs for a couple of quid each or for store credit. Itl be worth it in the end if i get 10 differe t strapping beautiful males. If i didnt think i could do it right, I wouldnt even be thinking about it.

4 for $40 but will probably get discount on 40. Ill have 30 peacocks left over!! Ill give them to my lfs for a couple of quid each or for store credit. Itl be worth it in the end if i get 10 differe t strapping beautiful males. If i didnt think i could do it right, I wouldnt even be thinking about it.

I hope all works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom