Adding aquarium salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13stingeln

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm doing a water change and I notice my ph is at about 7.5 and my water hardness is at 120. I want to raise them alittle bit for my cichlids....will this salt do anything? I don't want to hurt my fish and I've also bought this powder stuff called proper ph 8.2 says its for african cichlids has anyone ever used this? Is it safe for my fish?? I don't know how to go about adding this in with my water change. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok not someone told me not to use aquarium salt for cichlids???? So scratch that up there...
Can I add that Api higher ph 8.2 without having any kinda of mineral salt in there before???

Hmm, sorry if this is a little late, not sure.

But, I've always used aragonite sand. It brings the pH up naturally and it also raises the gH and kH

Very good for africans and other fish who need a higher hardness.

If you already have aragonite, try removing some, and adding more. Or, depending on a the filter, add a mesh baggie of it into that.

Pretty much, just grab aragonite and chuck some in there. Should help. :)

P.S. refrain from using unnatural buffers like the api pH stuff because it can really wreck your kH and gH. The reason behind this is that they are all related. Much like a triangle so messing with one, changes another. Aragonite raises everything so it works well.

Last edited:
P.S. refrain from using unnatural buffers like the api pH stuff because it can really wreck your kH and gH. The reason behind this is that they are all related. Much like a triangle so messing with one, changes another. Aragonite raises everything so it works well.

I agree 100%, don't add salt and other unnatural buffers.Stick with aragonite, limestone, crushed coral or crushed oyster shell to buffer PH.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411964955.071140.jpg this is what I should get right? And just put it in a mesh Baggie and put in my filter? And that will raise my ph and hardness ??

That's a substrate, use crushed coral or oyster shell if you want to add it to the filter.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411967174.618339.jpg would this work in a mesh bag??

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411967343.285637.jpg I already bought it without realizing it was not good for a bag lol... Would this be messy for a substrate?? I have gravel rocks right now.

It would be a little tricky unless you rinse a lot and then add it.

Look for the coarser more gravely stuff, but if you like the look you could add it to the tank, it may cloud for a bit though.

I'm not sure why everyone has so much issue with cloudiness, using sand is quite easy really, just need to do it right. Rinse the sand thoroughly first, then add it to the tank. Place a pie tin or a shallow dish on the substrate. Pour the water straight into the pie tin. Adding a large piece of filter sponge to the middle of the tin helps displace the water evenly even more. Doing this disturbs the particles much less than just pouring the water straight into the sand. I rarely have a tank cloud using this method.

Okay that sounds good. Now the only thing I'm worried about it taking them out of the tank, I don't want to stress them out. Is that the only way??

Okay that sounds good. Now the only thing I'm worried about it taking them out of the tank, I don't want to stress them out. Is that the only way??

What I have done is used a jug or pitcher to push the sand to the bottom of the water before pouring it out. This avoids the sand raining down from the heavens problem.

That being said, if it was a small tank I would just remove the fish.

Back
Top Bottom