Adding Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djbrefik

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im currently cycling a 125 and will be filling it up with cichlids and peacocks. I currently have a 40g with 7 mbunas and peacocks in it. Should I add them and the new fish at the same time or separately?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Usually, when stocking, people add about 2-4 fish in the tank at a time so one isnt usually singled out, and then your tank is able to get used to the bioload difference. I would probably not put all 7 in at once.

If you are fishless cycling the tank then it's safe to add the entire tank stocking at once as the beneficial bacteria will be built up enough to handle the bio load of all those fish. It's actually the best practice to do it this way for african cichlids.

I would like to point out that it's not the best idea to stock peacocks along with Mbuna as the mbunas are much more aggressive.

I underztand that, Mebbid. 2 of the 7 that I have now are 5" mbunas and the rest peacocks. Ill just make sure that the peacocks have a size advantage over the mbunas. Also, you say that I can add all 7 to the 125 at once...but ill still have to let it cycle completely first, right?

Assuming you are talking about a 125g tank then my suggestion is to do a full fishless cycle and then fill the tank to capacity with fish. This should be upwards of 40 or so cichlids depending on size. Doing this will overstock the tank not allowing any cichlids to establish a territory and greatly reducing aggression. You need a TON of rockwork for that many fish though.

My thoughtz exactly. Unfortunately, cost might be a factor when stocking that many fish. Although I have thought about geti g a buch of unsexed mbunas which would make them small enough and be cost effective. Theres also a landscaping company close by and ive been buying a buch of limestone for this tank. Probably not necessary to provide numerous caves in this situation, right?

Back
Top Bottom