Adding Mbuna In Newly Cycled Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarman1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm relatively new to aquariums and I'm a bit foggy on how many fish to add after a fishless cycle in a new tank.

As I've seen in many threads on aquarium forums, you should idealy add all of the Mbunas you plan to have at same time, which helps to minimize aggression. I'm thinking of adding a mix of 12 to 14 Yellow Labs, Acie, Red Zebras and Blue Barreds to my 55 gallon tank.

If I add that many fish all at once to a fully cycled, fishless tank, will I possibly have have an ammonia spike, or does the amount of fish not matter (within reason) once a tank has cycled?

Thanks for any help!

I don't keep cichlids so I am no expert. I hope someone else comments who knows more.

I have read that it is best to add them all at once. They will all find their places and settle in. If you add one later be sure to rearrange your decorations so everyone is forced to find new territories.

As far as ammonia spike when adding fish. That should not be a problem as long as the tank has been established for about 2 weeks. I use special blend to help keep the right bacteria. Especially in a new tank.

Attachments

• image-1163763843.jpg
    image-1163763843.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 63
I have the same question since I'm setting up a 75g with Mbuna -- probably 30 fish or so to keep it crowded? I'll definitely be doing less than 2" to keep the price down but wanted to confirm that I can do groups because I'd like to spread that cost over a longer period of time.

Also, after keeping the tank cycling for a while, how will I know when it's ready for fish? How will I know there are enough bacteria in the filter?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom