Adding more Cichlids to my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Should be with 50% or more. I wouldn't put it off any.longer than that, every 4-5 days would be better

Okay.... sooo i guess i could do it every 5days.... how fast does nitrate build up? And that is with it fully cram jammed with like 18-20 fish?

Okay.... sooo i guess i could do it every 5days.... how fast does nitrate build up? And that is with it fully cram jammed with like 18-20 fish?

I can't answer that because everyone's tanks are different. Feeding, cleaning and fish all fall in play with that.

I can't answer that because everyone's tanks are different. Feeding, cleaning and fish all fall in play with that.

Okay. So it doesn't matter how much filtration you have.... nitrate don't get affected by that? Would cleaning the filter a bit more help?

Okay. So it doesn't matter how much filtration you have.... nitrate don't get affected by that? Would cleaning the filter a bit more help?

When it starts to go up and water changes aren't helping to lower the nitrate. Then you should start cleaning filters and stuff. You'll want to rinse the filter pads with old tank water to clean every week or two.

I have a sump for filtration

When it starts to go up and water changes aren't helping to lower the nitrate. Then you should start cleaning filters and stuff. You'll want to rinse the filter pads with old tank water to clean every week or two.

I have a sump for filtration

Okay i will then just do water changes every 5 days and clean one of the filters everytime and the other one 5 days later and so on?

Soo with the aqua clear 70 filter it does 300 gph and the fluval c4 does 260 gph so thats 560gph on my 55 gallon tank so like 10 times in an hour. I now have the temp at 78. I think i will still do the original stocking 7labs, 6 coblat, 3 ob, 2 strawberry. Do you see any other possible problems with the small groups? Should i go to 20 fish? Also do cichlids die easy? or are they a bit more hardy then like a tetra or cory?

Soo with the aqua clear 70 filter it does 300 gph and the fluval c4 does 260 gph so thats 560gph on my 55 gallon tank so like 10 times in an hour. I now have the temp at 78. I think i will still do the original stocking 7labs, 6 coblat, 3 ob, 2 strawberry. Do you see any other possible problems with the small groups? Should i go to 20 fish? Also do cichlids die easy? or are they a bit more hardy then like a tetra or cory?
They are very hardy, what makes them hard to keep are aggression and nitrate problems. You'll be fine I'd go to 18 then if one keeps getting picked on raise the numbers higher. The more fish the higher the trates are going to be. So you want to keep it as low as you can

They are very hardy, what makes them hard to keep are aggression and nitrate problems. You'll be fine I'd go to 18 then if one keeps getting picked on raise the numbers higher. The more fish the higher the trates are going to be. So you want to keep it as low as you can

Okay sounds good. I will also see how it affect the trates after getting the four more fish. I wouldn't think a few fish would do do much of a diff. I am going away in June for 9 days.... will they be fine? Just do like a 75% the day before i go then like a 75% when i get home?

Okay sounds good. I will also see how it affect the trates after getting the four more fish. I wouldn't think a few fish would do do much of a diff. I am going away in June for 9 days.... will they be fine? Just do like a 75% the day before i go then like a 75% when i get home?

Yep sounds good they will be fine. Don't even worry about food. I do it once a year to go on a family vacation

Yep sounds good they will be fine. Don't even worry about food. I do it once a year to go on a family vacation

I am going to get my house sitter to feed them. I know they can live without food for a bit but i just can't do it haha

Mariah, If you are buy online just a head ups that some online site will add an extra fish f0r insurance for each group. I bought 18 and ended up with 21... I'm a happy camper.. :D

Mariah, If you are buy online just a head ups that some online site will add an extra fish f0r insurance for each group. I bought 18 and ended up with 21... I'm a happy camper.. :D

No i am ordering them from a pet store

Sooo i am getting 18 fish. If there is still a problem.... what is the highest number i can go to before nitrates go crazy?

Every tank is different you'll only know from adding and testing the water. Remember yours aren't full grown yet so the bio load is less now then it will be. I would try to not go over 22 or so

Kjacks tank is a lot bigger then yours. She was saying that because of ordering online and getting more then expected

Back
Top Bottom