Adding more Cichlids to my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha no kidding! They are suppose to be calm.... they aren't lol. I don't know what one is worse... the one has a chunk out of each side fin and a rip and the other one (cobalt) has its fins clamped and stays near the top of the slat using one fin

Put the Cobalt

Put the Cobalt

Okay i just put the cobalt into the 10g and the lab into the bucket. I had to get a heater for the betta so the betta can go into a different tank. The cobalt won't eat today and i put a tinny bit of brine shrimp into his tank, see if he eats it

Put the Cobalt

The cobalt died the day after i put it in.... i think i am now going to put the lab in that is in the bucket. I tested my water and the 55 was 10-20ppm and there might be .25 ammonia in there. All my tanks have .25 so i cleaned the filters to good. My other tanks are sitting at 40ppm for the 10g, 40-80ppm for the goldfish and 20ppm for the 29 with a gourami. The tap water had 5-10ppm in it on April 12th but now has 20ppm so a water change is useless... also those tests were after i did a 75% on the 18th and also the 19th and tested the water yesterday (25th) so that's good for 6 days. I currently have 15 cichlids but only the 14 in the 55

It wouldnt hurt to rearrange some just in case but mine dont when its a fish they have been in the tank with only new fish have gotten picked on but i fixed that by waiting until its dark in the room leaving the tank lights off n gettin my husband to feed the others while i drop the fish in.. they dont even get a second glance an a few of mine almost killed a couple new fish before i changed tactics..

It wouldnt hurt to rearrange some just in case but mine dont when its a fish they have been in the tank with only new fish have gotten picked on but i fixed that by waiting until its dark in the room leaving the tank lights off n gettin my husband to feed the others while i drop the fish in.. they dont even get a second glance an a few of mine almost killed a couple new fish before i changed tactics..

Okay that sounds good and easy enough... she was scared when she first went in but is now out in the open of the tank

I put her back in once she was all healed... did everything you said and her tail was half gone the next day so she is going back into the 19 gallon and then going to heal her then try and sell her

I put her back in once she was all healed... did everything you said and her tail was half gone the next day so she is going back into the 19 gallon and then going to heal her then try and sell her

Sry it didnt work for you.. All fish are different what works for one sometimes doesnt work for others as you very well have learned

Sry it didnt work for you.. All fish are different what works for one sometimes doesnt work for others as you very well have learned

Yes every fish has a different personality just like people.... she will be fine in the 10g for a while until she sells

Yea she sould be fine as long as its not months and months

How many cichlids can go into a 29 gallon? I have one electric yellow in the hospital, and 2-3 that are being picked on in the 55. One is a strawberry peacock, ob and maybe a cobalt. Would those 4 be to Many?

What do you mean picked on... bc im pretty sure andrew had mentioned before that there will be some form of chasing and what not going on .. do you have a video of the bullying? I really dont think its a good idea long term and prolly not even short term to house them all together in that small of a tank bc one of the fish will take on the "bullying" role. There is a chain of command in the tank just like with dogs, cats, horses or any animal.. im wondering if thats not what your seeing ..

What do you mean picked on... bc im pretty sure andrew had mentioned before that there will be some form of chasing and what not going on .. do you have a video of the bullying? I really dont think its a good idea long term and prolly not even short term to house them all together in that small of a tank bc one of the fish will take on the "bullying" role. There is a chain of command in the tank just like with dogs, cats, horses or any animal.. im wondering if thats not what your seeing ..

Well the one in the hospital had half its tail and side fine gone so i put her in there a while ago and then out her back in then a day later they were gone again like i mentioned before... there is a peacock that's not moving much and staying in the top corner and not moving. The other one is a ob that's fins are clamped and isn't happy then there is a cobalt that i think is a female and has been locking lips with a male all day today

Hmmm if its locking lips with a male then its prolly a male bc they are fighting over territories.. whens the last time you changed your rocks around? Mayb that will help some.. i have never had my fish do anything that yours have done and my fish are pretty rowdy .. :/ ill have to do some checking to see whats the best solution. I mean you cant just keep removing fish to other tanks but if you keep taking the problem fish out another one is gonna step up to take its place ..

Ok i googled it and consulted with Andrew :) so it seems that sometimes poor water quality or.fish disease like ich, parastes or velvet can cause clamped fins along with other things that stress the fish .. so i suggest this week to do a couple more water changes then normal 25%-50% and rearrange your rocks (to help with the lip locking duo) then montior the water levels and fish for any signs of change.. if that doesnt work then start removing the fish that is in the worst condition to the 29g and swap them out accordingly until the problem is cleared up .. i dont think 2 fish that arent the same (ex. 1 ob zebra and 1 peacock) or even 2 males would be safe in the 29g

Also i would google the symptoms for more information. I just searched what causes african cichlids to clamp fins..

Ok i googled it and consulted with Andrew :) so it seems that sometimes poor water quality or.fish disease like ich, parastes or velvet can cause clamped fins along with other things that stress the fish .. so i suggest this week to do a couple more water changes then normal 25%-50% and rearrange your rocks (to help with the lip locking duo) then montior the water levels and fish for any signs of change.. if that doesnt work then start removing the fish that is in the worst condition to the 29g and swap them out accordingly until the problem is cleared up .. i dont think 2 fish that arent the same (ex. 1 ob zebra and 1 peacock) or even 2 males would be safe in the 29g

Also i would google the symptoms for more information. I just searched what causes african cichlids to clamp fins..

Okay that sounds good. I know my water isn't that good because i went away for a bit and now i have strep throat so i won't be feeling up to it for a bit. I changed the rocks around when i did a wc about.... 4 days ago and they were a bit shocked i think form the change in the water. I did a 80% at least because it had been about 2 weeks since i last did one. I will once i feel better in about 4 days do a 50% every day for maybe 3 days then back to the reg wc every 5-7 days

Back
Top Bottom