Adding more Cichlids to my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or some acei...they seem to like swimming around top of tank so wouldnt bother others too much. And what is the electric u. Have?

Electric yellow labs is what i have. They are not really easy.... i have had lots of problems with them. I have been time not to get acie because they needs lots of swimming area

Electric yellow labs is what i have. They are not really easy.... i have had lots of problems with them. I have been time not to get acie because they needs lots of swimming area

The lab i have in the separate tank hasn't eaten for 4 days at least. Today i gave her some brine shrimp since i tried everything and she only ate a few pieces.... she is hiding lots but swimming a bit. Very shy and skinny from not eating

The lab i have in the separate tank hasn't eaten for 4 days at least. Today i gave her some brine shrimp since i tried everything and she only ate a few pieces.... she is hiding lots but swimming a bit. Very shy and skinny from not eating

Is this a new fish or have u had it for a while ? I have a yellow lab he eats flakes & liked sinking food it for cat fish it like a pellet

image-1914645198.jpg

Is this a new fish or have u had it for a while ? I have a yellow lab he eats flakes & liked sinking food it for cat fish it like a pellet

I have had her for a while. What happened is i went and bought 6 an hour from where i live. I then bought an ob and two cobalts a few days later. After a few days i went and bought two more cobalts one more ob because the last one died. And ordered 2 more cobalt and two electric yellow labs. I guess this fish was the last to go in with some cobalts but when they packed her to ship they placed her this a mean male. I think that is the male i had to sell and now this one is weak. This is what the now 13 of the cichlids get fed everyday. There is 3 small cobalts that never get pellets because the big ob eats like 10 of them

ForumRunner_20130526_102744.jpg

I noticed now that she either has some scales that are poking out on her left side or its something fuzzy. I know its not ich but it might be bacteria. While i am typing his she is going nuts!!! Rubbing on the bottom and swimming funny. Would throwing epsom salt or something help her????

I noticed now that she either has some scales that are poking out on her left side or its something fuzzy. I know its not ich but it might be bacteria. While i am typing his she is going nuts!!! Rubbing on the bottom and swimming funny. Would throwing epsom salt or something help her????

She started doing this the day after her water change that i did about 5 days ago now :(

She started doing this the day after her water change that i did about 5 days ago now :(

I currently don't have any but can get some later tonight. Will api fungus cure work? I can now see it starting on the other side of the fish not just on her left side like last night. She also doesn't swim right. Just still ave a huge wiggle. That's the best i can explain it lol.

I currently don't have any but can get some later tonight. Will api fungus cure work? I can now see it starting on the other side of the fish not just on her left side like last night. She also doesn't swim right. Just still ave a huge wiggle. That's the best i can explain it lol.

Okay all is good now with the fish in the hospital. Swimming normal and i change 25% of the water tomorrow. I might sell her since she can't go into a 29 gallon tank.... i went to my local pet store and seen that the electric yellows that were $12.99 are now $9.99. I really want to buy some since that's $2 cheaper then the place i get all my fish but my tank is doing good right now and i don't want to mess it up??

Kind of... i did a 80%-85% on the 17th in the morning and left the night of the 18th and just got back a little bit ago

Your never supposed to change more than 50% from what ive heard. It causes your tank to go through the process of cycling which then leads to new tank syndrome.

But her water quality is higher thn most so its required to kep her levels down at a safe level if she isnt cleaning all decor or scraping the glass an changing filter pads when she does the pwc itll be fine

Your never supposed to change more than 50% from what ive heard. It causes your tank to go through the process of cycling which then leads to new tank syndrome.

Beneficial bacteria live on the substrate, decor, and filter media. They are not found in large number in the water. Large water changes will not cause a tank to cycle again. It could potentially shock the fish. I do a 50-60% change once a week and have done so for the past year + with no signs of stress/shock, disease, or cycling issues.

Mariah I am slightly confused as to why you want to sell a sick lab, that you don't want because you cant put it into a 29, to buy more labs? Did I miss something?

Beneficial bacteria live on the substrate, decor, and filter media. They are not found in large number in the water. Large water changes will not cause a tank to cycle again. It could potentially shock the fish. I do a 50-60% change once a week and have done so for the past year + with no signs of stress/shock, disease, or cycling issues.

Mariah I am slightly confused as to why you want to sell a sick lab, that you don't want because you cant put it into a 29, to buy more labs? Did I miss something?

Hahah yes you missed somthing :p the lab i current have in the 10g that is sick was picked on then i placed her in there to heal then decided to put her back and give it another chance but it happened again. While she was healing is when she got fungus on her. I want to buy more labs for the 55 since i am down to only 13 but I'm not sure. I want to put the lab currently in the 10g into the 29 gallon but not by herself...

Haha gotcha, was pretty sure that I missed something important. I have been tempted to add to my tank. I have 11 in it right now. I did try to add another a few months ago, he was a fish available for adoption and the people who returned him didn't say why they brought him back. I found out within 10 minutes of adding him after he was lip locked with my tank boss and tried to fight everyone in the tank. I took him back the next morning and have been scared to upset the balance again.

Haha gotcha, was pretty sure that I missed something important. I have been tempted to add to my tank. I have 11 in it right now. I did try to add another a few months ago, he was a fish available for adoption and the people who returned him didn't say why they brought him back. I found out within 10 minutes of adding him after he was lip locked with my tank boss and tried to fight everyone in the tank. I took him back the next morning and have been scared to upset the balance again.

Hahaha yeah that's what I'm scared of.... i think ill just leave it... and if a few more die then ill up the numbers... i have 13 so that's alright but if it gets to 11 or something then ill up it to 15-16

Hahaha yeah that's what I'm scared of.... i think ill just leave it... and if a few more die then ill up the numbers... i have 13 so that's alright but if it gets to 11 or something then ill up it to 15-16

How fast/slow do cichlids grow??? I have had them for a while now and only have grown a micro amount. I want them to be like 4 inches!!! They are 2 -2 1/2 inches. How much longer? I heard more food in small amounts and more often might be better. I feed them the reg pellets with flakes in the morning and have been giving them a bit of flakes at night.

I have had mine for about a year now and they have doubled in size. All are about 4 inches now. My buddy fed his 3x a day everyday and they grew way faster than mine. There is a greater chance for bloat doing that though plus your water changes will come more frequently.

How fast/slow do cichlids grow??? I have had them for a while now and only have grown a micro amount. I want them to be like 4 inches!!! They are 2 -2 1/2 inches. How much longer? I heard more food in small amounts and more often might be better. I feed them the reg pellets with flakes in the morning and have been giving them a bit of flakes at night.

Depends on the cichlid how fast they grow.. smaller feedings and more frequent ones plus more frequent water changes is what helps them grow faster.. i got most of mine in dec and they have doubled or more in size but i change 25%-50% of my water in the 125g atleast 1 time a week if not more depending on if i have fed seaweed or my parameters are high which usually i have perfect water i just know im overstoked and when they get bigger ill have to do water changes 2 mayb 3 times a week

Hey can anyone explain the difference from a red zebra and a orange acei? Inthought I had a pair od red zebras but theor colors dont match up at all. The acei one looks yellowish...I wondar if thats what she is...

Back
Top Bottom